OT- Safety Hinges

Hello!

I'm working on a project using hinge-actuated safety switches on the guarding doors. This is all well and good, except - I can't find any hinges! The company that markets our framing does not carry anything compatible.

For you integrators who might have used these styles of switches before, where did you source the actuating hinges?

Thanks!

TM

From your original post you say you want a hinge-actuated safety switch. Guardmaster (Allen Bradley) manufacture the type of switch you need. You can find there details here: http://www.ejaltd.com/programming/products/shw-Product-listing.asp?cid=4

Or you can try the ones mentioned in the previous posts. None of them will replace a hinge. You will usually have to mount them above the door.

Or am I misunderstanding your question, do you want a hinge to actuate a switch. If so then you will find a suitable switch on the page above.

Tim I am not sure what you are asking...doors on any machine use regular hinges which can be gotten from McMaster Carr, Grainger, etc etc.

Hinge actuated switches are designed to work on the door when opening or closing....STI (which should be same as AB) offers an installation guide for using hinge actuated switches. I am sure any of the other brands also offer installation guides.

Dont rely on a hinge actuated switch to actually "hinge" the door.

Personal preference I like using the non contact type switches that cant be tricked using metal or a magnet...seems a safer route, depending on application.

Tim maybe I should have told you that Banner sells the set of hinges; one has the switch, the other does not. If the door is light enough Banner's set will be all you need. If the door is heavy, the switch hinge should be added to the existing hinges. The switch is not designed to hold heavy doors.
If this is not what you meant, please elaborate.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Yes, I already have switches. These are hollow-shaft, and require a hinge with an extended pin to go inside them. the hollow shaft has threaded holes - set screws attach the switch shaft to the pin of the hinge.

The documentation I got with my switches (schmersal) gave no indication as to how the hinge is to be arranged, i.e. custom built, buy this one, etc. Since the hinge needs to be offset to work with the switch, the basic grainger/msc/McMaster won't cut it.

I was hoping that someone who had used these style of switches could tell me where they had found or fabricated these hinges.

Thanks for the feedback!

TM

I have seen such things - hinges with built in safety switch. But I had BAD experience with them. They were supposed to be "armed" by turning a bolt tight until it broke off. When doing so the hinge (and door) had to be in the safe position. After that the safety switch would shut off when the hinge was not in the armed position.

The thing is, the position didn't stay sealed as it should. After some time it would slip. It was a design fault. Make was BERNSTEIN.

I changed to magnetic safety switches in stead of the safety hinges.