Allen Bradley ladder logic question

plc_padawan

Hello everyone. It's been a bunch of years since I have visited this forum with a technical question. Not that I ever knew a whole bunch about programming, but since I haven't been involved in that aspect of the business in quite some time, I've forgotten just about everything related to PLC programming.

Anyway, I'm at new job and working with a guy who is trying to do a very simple thing on an Allen Bradley PLC.

The thing we are trying to do is push a button and turn on a light using one output. And then after 5 seconds, have the light blink.

I know this is child's play for someone who is fluent in Allen Bradley programming, so could anyone out there show me how that's done.

Last edited:
Momentary PB I assume?
If so, do you want the light to stay on and start blinking only if the button is held down?
And if not, what is going to stop or reset this operation?

Here's a quick example with a Micrologix 1400. You may get different results with different CPUs for the rate of that free running clock bit. Increase the bit number to blink slower, decrease it to blink faster.

flasher.png

Last edited:
Momentary PB I assume?
If so, do you want the light to stay on and start blinking only if the button is held down?
And if not, what is going to stop or reset this operation?

I want the light to stay on for 5 seconds after a momentary PB is pressed, then start blinking , and reset after an E-stop is pressed.

I can think of a few ways to do that. 1: Latch a bit at the start PB, unlatch at E-Stop, run a 5 second timer, then when that timer is /DN start flip-flop timers, using one of them's /TT to shut off the light that is on if the latched bit is on. 2:, 3: & 4: get more involved

I want the light to stay on for 5 seconds after a momentary PB is pressed, then start blinking , and reset after an E-stop is pressed.
Then try something like this...Of course you need to substitute your own addresses and invert the state of the inputs as required.

EDIT: Ignore the comments of my output lamp. I did this on my little test processor that already had some stuff used and named...

flasher2.jpg

Last edited: