Understand how pulses from a flowmeter using HSC work with CLX

dingomex3

Hello friends, I'm trying to understand the logic of the a flow meter pulses for obtaining the volume of a fluid but I don't know why multiplying the value 0.985/100 by counts from the HSC. I hope someone can help me.

I attach the picture of the code...Thanks!!!!

COntador_litros.jpg

It's going to depend how the flow meter is configured. That looks like a "fudge factor" because the original programmer didn't know how or was too lazy to change it on the instrument end. Is this flowmeter measuring water flow or something with the same physical properties?

Typically the flowmeter puts out a pulse for each unit of volume that passes through it. The units and pulse factor are normally configurable. So by counting the pulses, you should get a total volume passing through the meter

That looks like the original programmer was using the CPT to get a true volume.

Like Saffa said flow meters are set to a certain pulses/unit volume. In my business we call that a K-Factor. Meters with smart transmitters are normally adjustable but meters that just use a pickup coil or optical transmitter are fixed at at the factory to a NOMINAL K-Factor. In your case I would be willing to bet that your meters K-Factor is 100 Pulses/Unit Volume.

Now no meter is perfect so each meters actual K-Factor or the real pulses/unit volume is going to be more or less than the nominal. To check this, the meter is normally run into a vessel that has a known calibrated volume. The volume in the vessel divided by the meter volume is known in my business as the Meter Factor.

Since we don't normally change the K-Factor (this is for constancy) we use the meter factor to get a accurate reading. So to get a calibrated volume we would take the pulses/K-Factor * Meter Factor.

The CPT instruction you have is doing that with the * being first and / last, but either way it works.

So the .985 is the meter factor either made up or was actually checked against a known volume.

Was he calculating mass from volume? Perhaps?

Or as mentioned before, it might be a quick-and-dirty way to "calibrate"

How about 195 pulses per 2 cubic feet? Does that sound more reasonable to you? The flowmeter, as others have explained, is probably designed to be 100 pulses per cubic foot but each varies slightly. Thus the individualized correction.

Waterboy,
That isn't uncommon to see decimal points in a meters K-Factor. On a lot of water meters the factory will calibrate them and will provide that calibration to you as the "True" K-Factor. So if you were to take the pulses/97.5 you would get your true calibrated volume. So yes the .5 has a very significant value in the total measurement.

In the Oil Industry we normally just enter the nominal K-Factor into the Flow Computer and then change the Meter Factor every time the meter is calibrated. I think this practice was started because the early flow computers didn't have a way to enter decimal points into the K-Factor parameter.