Special sensor to detect weld section on a steel pipe

Prince

I need to design a system for automatic test of steel pipes. Before that, I need a sensor capable of detecting weld section on the pipe. This photo can show what we call weld line. (That is the black line on top of the pipe)

24l0f11.jpg

I have a machine prepared to rotate the pipes and a test system flexible enough to test the weld section. I need a sensor to detect the weld line.

I have no experience in this type of machine. But I would say it must be an image processing sensor. Do u have a suggestion?

a simple method you can use is to make a half clamp with a small deep point to hold the weld. if you turn the pipe the clamp will need some force to get it turning again so if you rotate the pipe the rotation will stop, when the clamp is fully in position.
to check this you can make a small sensor (a simple pin connected to a relais in the center of this clamp, so when the clamp is correctly, the pin woill contact the pipe thus the relais will go on.....

Roland SND400 seems to be just for detection of the weld seam while rotating the pipe.

Can I use Banner cameras to follow the weld while the pipe is being tested horizontally? I tried to check different features of this camera in the catalog but I did not find any. o_O Logically I would need a feedback showing the inaccuracy in the seam position which i can fix by testing head displacement.

Last edited:
we use roland snd400, expensive and difficult to set up compared to Keyence sensors we use on another machine for seam detection... My choice Keyence by far. cheaper and easier.

Thanks for your suggestion for seam detection but What type of sensor did you use to follow the seam during the test?
Did you use the same sensor?
What type of Keyence sensor it is? XG7000 or XG8000?

Last edited:
In a previous life, we used Eddychek 5's with an encircling probe to catch weld seam issues and material issues. Not so many material issues on welded tubing, but we also did double-wall brazed tubing, and that had more of a chance for defects.

The only catch is that it will only see a change. For instance if you have a long section with no weld it will only see the front end and back end of the flaw. To compensate for that, there is a rotating head offered that continuously changes the test field and sees the full flaw.

Ours were mounted at the end of the mill before the cutoff.

Just some food for thought.