Pulse Counter

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a standalone pulse counter (preferably Ethernet/IP enabled) that can count up to 1000Hz range? We had been using the VHSC24 PointIO modules from AB with horrible results (Hardware has bugs in it that AB refuses to fix).

I have tried using just DI modules but can't reliably get pulses with the RPI's we need to run.

Does anyone know of a standalone pulse counter (preferably Ethernet/IP enabled) that can count up to 1000Hz range? We had been using the VHSC24 PointIO modules from AB with horrible results (Hardware has bugs in it that AB refuses to fix).

I have tried using just DI modules but can't reliably get pulses with the RPI's we need to run.

What bugs are these? I'm currently using that exact module for a position encoder.

What is this - a high speed counter module that cannot count a 1kHz feed? The module is rated at 1Mhz
I would like more information please - I use these things everywhere and have no troubles if they are installed correctly

you may find that the assistance here could be better than RA customer support

Last edited:
What bugs are these? I'm currently using that exact module for a position encoder.

Our machines are frequently powered down and back up. This wipes the modules count. There is a KB article on how to reset the count on startup, but the method used in the KB doesn't work, and it is even mentioned in the comment section of the KB article that it doesn't work.

I have tried just using my own variables on the PAC based on the variables from the module but was having mixed results (most likely due to our own lack of testing). But the fact that AB's own method of resetting counts doesn't work worries me.

I have mentioned this to our VAR and TechConnect directly, none of them have had any hands on experience with the module.

What you need is a local RA office with a Technical Consultant who can actually test the logic in RA Knowledgebase 543243 and provide a bulletproof version of the logic that allows a preset and re-initialize to occur consistently.

I didn't have any experience with most of the modules I wrote technotes or did testing on, until I got the experience by working with them.

Adding the timers doesn't seem to help. I only went up to several seconds in the timer. But more than that seemed a little rediculous.

any chance you could post your code or even just the hsc code

glad to hear that it is internal rather than external

As Ken said the only person who is going to be able to really sort you out must have the same hardware to test on.

PS I find that turning power on and off on a regular basis can cause issues

any chance you could post your code or even just the hsc code

glad to hear that it is internal rather than external

As Ken said the only person who is going to be able to really sort you out must have the same hardware to test on.

PS I find that turning power on and off on a regular basis can cause issues

I realize the comment about the power being turned off and on again, it's just the nature of the product we sell unfortunately.