Procurve 2520G-8-PoE

Compass

Hi

I'm just trying to setup, or at least access a switch. the switch has been operating for some time, yet we don't believe it was ever given a hostname or Ethernet address. If it was, we will clear and reset it.

I have a serial connection, to directly connect it to a Panasonic laptop. I'm using a seimens cord on an HP switch, but If that doesn't work I'm using a regular Ethernet cable for out of band connection.

You need a host name or Ethernet address to access the web browser. Don't get me started on telnet.

what should I do?

Thanks for responding. I just got back to work today.

I'm ashamed to have to ask, but I can't find a straight answer in any of my resources. How to I get onto the CLI client?

So far I've typed telnet in cmd prompt, and started a telnet session. What next?

http://www.ht.com.au/attach/Files/_5EA382FA-8F6B-4E21-AFD0-7B62EC57B7CA.pdf

Page 3-2 in this document. Just type "setup" and you'll get an easy to use setup screen that doesn't require CLI knowledge.

If your CLI prompt is something other than "ProCurve_2520-24-PoE#", then you'll probably need to do a factory reset on the switch. See page 4-12 in the above document on how to do that.

Just curious, how are you connected? Are you using the console port or via an Ethernet port?

Shawn

No luck

I rebooted, I reset the switch, and I tried:
ProCurve_2520-24-PoE#
ProCurve_2520-8-PoE#
ProCurve_2520G-8-PoE#
From telnet, from and from C:\>
I can't even tell if the PC recognizes it is connected to anything.

Okay, you're not actually connected to the switch with telnet.

The easiest way for you to connect using telnet would be using IP. Get a copy of Rockwell's BootP/DHCP server. Setup the BootP server to give the switch an IP address that your computer can talk to. If you don't know what IP to give it, reply back with your computer's IP address and subnet mask and I'll give you one in range.

Get a copy of PuTTY to use as your telnet client.

Setup the switch and computer so that they are connected directly to each other and to nothing else.

Do the factory reset again.

Watch the BootP program until it says that it gave out the IP address you told it to give out.

Open PuTTY and choose the telnet radio button. Put the switch IP address in the Hostname (or IP) box. Click connect.

A black window should open and to the left of anything you type in that window will be "ProCurve_2520-24-PoE#"

Type "setup" and make your changes.

Shawn

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. This all sounds promising, but I'll have to get back to the switch later. Just writing so as not to be rude.

You can download and install putty and choose serial connection if you don't want to reset he switch and then once you have console type menu then return then select switch config (Normally option # 2 on a pro curve switch.

Next should be option 4 which is IP configuration then arrow over to edit and hit enter and configure the IP using the arrow keys and space bar.

Then save and IP is set.

I've had limited success with changing settings on ProCurve switches through the web interface. You're going to have much better success using a telnet session.

I agree the GUI sux and firmware can cause a lot of pains on the pro curve switch series.

More money but I will stick with my Cisco and I sleep well at night and have a full head of hair.

Solved

Alright. I was able to change the switches IP with BootP. I got a little confused for a minute, because apparently the message: socket "something" connection refused, means everything is okay.

I can access it by webrowser, but it wants me to get a version of java that requires a higher OS.

XP's default telnet client works. Not sure if Putty is still necessary, but that works as well.

Thanks everyone for all you assistance.