Servomotor heating by gearbox

aand74

We have some Siemens servomotors that are overheating.
If we look at the load, current and speed, there is no reason at all for overheating. Also the installation has been running ok for 3 years and the
the thermal conditions have not changed, also there have been no adaptations to the installation.
I did some temperature measurement with infrared thermometer and saw that for all motors, the gearbox is hotter then the motor surface.
So my opinion is that maybe the gearbox gets hotter and heats up the motor too much.
Does anybody have similar experiences?

Are there any lubrication requirements for this gearbox according to the manual? Over lubrication or incorrect lubricant is as bad as no lubrication sometimes!

How are you picking up that there is an over temp condition in the first place? Was a protective device being tripped?

a gearbox should be handable (your hand flat on box should be possible.
a motor should be touchable meaning a fingerfor 1 second.
check oilquality and obvious level as the upper gear should be oiled.
check bearings, and gears, by vibration measurement.
and yes i do this .