factory talk on top display

Plarnold

I'm a lowly maintenance tech. so I know this question is going to seem second nature to most here. but I've been asked to do some programming and im giving it a shot. I'm working rs5000 and factory talk studio view 5.0. I need to have a small screen with an acknowledge button pop up when an event happens. I've created the screen added my acknowledge pb tag. ive tried different ways to do my logic but keep getting errors. I know this is probably simple to most but im stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Give us some more details about the errors you are receiving. If you can take a screenshot and post it to the thread, that will be helpful. When you reply, look at the bottom of this window and click "Go Advanced" and find the options to "attach file".

Welcome to the forum!

the error at the hmi shows up after when I try to use any button to try to go to another screen "goto PB unable to open screen". this is of course after ive added new logic to try and get an event to remotely open an "event acknowledge screen"

IMG_1779.JPG

The message is slightly truncated, but I think its trying to tell you that the current screen is under PLC control. In that case, the navigation buttons won't work. You have to release PLC control of the PV screens. Set the PLC controlled screen tag to zero.

jkerekes is right - the full text to that error is "Unable to open display. Display change is currently controlled remotely" i.e., from the PLC. You've presumably found the link to change a screen using a PLC tag, but as long as that tag is still calling a screen, the HMI won't allow any other screen to be selected.

In general, whenever I set up the remote display number, I also set up the replace display number - which is a PLC tag that the HMI writes to each time it changes the screen. So if the PLC calls for Screen 5, I wait for the HMI to write back that it's showing Screen 5, and then set the remote display number back to zero (which means "I'm not controlling it any more, the operator can select whatever screen they want").

The thing that'll trip you up here is that if you're calling a pop-up (i.e. an on-top display), that won't work - the HMI only writes back the current "replace" type display, not on-top displays. So I always also integrate a 3 second timeout, where if my remote display number is non-zero for 3 seconds, I write it back to zero. In conjunction with this, it's good practice to make all of your remote display calls "one-shotted", so that you don't get stuck where the PLC continuously calls for a screen and won't let go.

Hope that helps!

asf, my first attempt at doing what you advised didn't work for me, but im not really sure I actually done what I should have . im going to add a couple of pics to let you see what I did and what I would like to happen. thanks

hmipic4.jpg hmipic3.jpg

Try something like this. Set the RemoteDisplayNumber tag to the Remote Display global connection in FTView, and the CurrentDisplay tag to the Replace Display global connection in FTView.

(oh, and the rung comments should say "show popup 1/2/3" respectively - I copied and pasted and didn't change them)

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.56.15 am.jpg

Still no go, I'll post more pics of my screen setup and global connections as well as any on screen errors I have in the morning. Again thanks so much for the help I'm gonna keep plugging at it until I get it

So are you still having the same issue? Here's the sequence of events as I understand it, correct me if wrong:

1. PLC calls for popup screen
2. HMI pops up screen
3. Operator presses button on popup to acknowledge and close popup
4. Popup closes
5. Operator tries to change screens on the HMI but the error message appears about "display controlled remotely" and display will not change

I wish I was that far along. You have the sequence I want right(steps 1-4) but I can't get the pop up screen to come up. When he event happens I just get an error " invalid display screen" but I am moving a nine, which is the display number of my pop up, into my HMI screen control, which is the tag for my remote display number

Go through and make sure that all of your screens have unique numbers. If any two displays have the same number, the remote display number doesn't work.