PLC and Panelview combo

saultgeorge

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys, I have an A-B SLC 500/5 that uses an A-B Panelview 550. The panelview sends inputs to the SLC, mostly start, stop, home, raise, lower, jog, etc. The machine (a tapping machine) will run in auto and the operator uses palm buttons to cycle the machine and the safeties are independent of the panelview and SLC.
My question is the panelview uses an Ethernet cable to plug into the SLC. I have a DF-1 1747 UIC adaptor to talk to the SLC. To see the ladder logic, I have to disconnect the panelview. Is there a way to have them both plugged into the SLC, like with a switch or a hub?? My problem is that a few months back, an outside contractor somehow re-addressed an output in the panelview so it no longer will activate input logic in the SLC for homing the machine after a tap change. We have to push in on a contactor to get past the limits to home the machine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Are you sure the PLC is a SLC5/05 and not a SLC5/03? The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 adaptor and won’t work connected to the RJ45 port on the SLC5/05 which is an Ethernet port but does connect to the RJ45 on a SLC5/03 which is a DH485 port.
If it is a SLC5/05 then the answer to your question is yes, you can put in a switch between the SLC5/05 and the PV550 then gain access to the SLC5/05 (you should also be able to gain access to the PV550).
If the PLC were a SLC5/03 then you would need the 1747-UIC (connected to the RJ45 port) to gain access to the PLC through that port however the bottom port (channel 0) will more than likely be configured as a DF1 Full Duplex port in which case you would be able to access the PLC through it leaving the connection between the SLC5/03 and PV550 intact.

Thanks, I'll try that. BTW, I lived in Seattle and surrounding areas many years in the '80's and '90's. Love that area.