1746-NT4 Confirugation

Amondryl

Hi !

I need to add 2 thermocouples on a 1746-NT4 card. The program was create on RSLogix 500 Ver.3.0 so they don't use the advanced config to set the thermocouple.

I search a lot but i don't understand how to config it.

ZSCIRJl.jpg

I know it's config in this rung in the N9:10 but I don't understand where to enter the setting. In the manual, it tells me something with bit like 11 = 1 to enable the channel but i can't find where i enter that.

qpVViAT.jpg

I want to understand how it works so i can change the other thermocouples settings too.

I'm afraid of if i use the advance config who is very easy that will bug cause the settings are already automatic in the N9:10 file. In the advance config all the settings is wrong (all default) but when online the temperature shown is good.

My thermocouples is K type in Fahrenheit.

I can't share the .RSS cause i work in a big compagnie with competitor.

Sorry my english isn't perfect.

If you need more information, tells me !

Thanks

EDIT : I use RSLogix 500 ver.8.30.01

Last edited:
Hello gckshortt !

Hey, thanks ! I change Decimal for Binary and now i understand !! I can use the manual to change 0 and 1 for what i want.

It's always the easiest think that are hard to find !

I'm confused as to why the copy function is writing from the output to the data file. Usually this line is written where on first pass, the configuration is written from the data file Source (N9 in your case) to the card's configuration Dest. This way, if you power down to change a card, on boot up the configuration from the data file will be written to the card configuration. It seems the way yours is written, the data file would be overwritten by the card's default configuration if you swapped the card out. Am I looking at this wrong?

The "COP" instructions shown are wrong. The integer N9:10 ( holds the configuration information) should be the "Source", the "Destination" (Dest) should be the output word (O:5.0).
Not sure how the values of 3345 and 3347 got to the cards configuration but they did not come from those "COP" instructions.

If you are afraid to make the proper corrections and configure the cards then I would get some help from a qualified programmer.
The best(easy) way to set the configuration is with the advances config. You can change the configuration manually by setting the config words manually, see the manual.

The value "3345" means..the card is set for type "K", engineering unitx10, deg "F",and enabled.

The value 3347 means the card is set for a type "E" and the rest is the same.

See manual below for what the configuration word means.

Edit: Prometheus 2003 types faster then I do.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean but it is strange because i turned off the PLC a lot of time and the thermocouples were always good.

Default setting of this card is like type J and Celsius but my thermocouples are type K and in Fahrenheit.

That is working like that since 2002.

In the manual, it's shown like you say.

I didn't write this program and i'm a beginner so i can't tell you more !

Maybe there a reason ? Someone knows ?

Should I change it ?

Thanks

Should I erase this rung and configure the thermocouple with the advances config ?

There are 2 cards for thermocouples the other one is O:4/0. I have 2 thermocoupes type E too it's normal.

But how the settings remained good after turn off the PLC with inverse logic ?

It stays the same because the configuration in the card and data file happen to match. BBut if you ever have to change out a thermocouple card it will not write correctly. And any changes you make to the data file will be overwritten by what is currently in the card now the way it is written.

Should I erase this rung and configure the thermocouple with the advances config ?

If you do that the programming software will create them again( properly of course)
for you. It will ask you what words to use and where to put the "COP" instruction.

If there is nothing else writing to the output words (O:4.0 and O:5.0) the values are retentive.

So I can change it for the future right now or that will create a problem ?

I will change Source for N:9.0 and Dest for O:4.0. Same for N:9.10

There a lot of error too in the settings. More than half of the thermocouples are set in Type E but it's Type K so I will change that too.

Like you can see in the picture this is wrong because I:4/2 to I:4/7 should be type K.

5hNceLl.jpg

What you guys suggest for the settings ?

There are on pipping to read the temperature of cryogenic liquid so if the pipping isn't enough cold, the pump will stop working to prevent cavitation.

It's et to minimum -40 Fahrenheit and the normal temp can be -200 Fahrenheit.

It's pretty simple.

Thanks

If you want the cards channel to be configured for a type "K" thermocouple, engineering units X 10, channel enabled, 60 HZ filter, Deg "F" then you can just use the decimal radix in the the data file view and type in a value of 3345 see picture. Or duplicate the bit pattern in word N9:10 manually. Picture shown is for a card in slot 5.

I:4/2 and I:4/7 bits have nothing to do with configuring the card for a type "K" thermocouple. Word I:4.0 is the word that holds the temperature value for channel 0 of the card in slot 4.

type_K_config.jpg

Last edited: