Remote I/O ; Distribute I/O ; Local I/O

ect_09

Hello,
what is the difference between Remote I/O ; Distribute I/O ; Local I/O??
can you please define it

Regards.

nope its not home work.
actually i google it . but didnt understand it theory.
i want to understand this.

Ect_09

To be confusing, Remote IO (or RIO for short) was also used by Rockwell as the name of one of their distributed IO networks. The term "Remote IO" is often used generically to mean any distributed IO, but it could sometimes specifically mean IO on a RIO network, depending on what system you are using.

Thanks rdrast for replying
Sir if Remote and distributed I/O are extenal then what is the difference between these two. why they are naming separately???

Thanks

I always use distributed I/O to describe I/O attached to the PLC but in a backplane extension system, remote I/O to mean a dumb I/O island, local on the rack with the CPU on it.

Back when

I the old days AB remote I/O was a whole rack ( or part of a rack) around 12"x15"x 18-36" located remotly from the PLC. They then came up with Distributed I/O which was a was smaller around 6"x6"x12" I think and worked in the card level of I/O so you could place them all over the machine or system and just wire them up localy and connect with blue hose. Since then as others have said differant names for the same thing.

Local IO - IO in the "local" chassis, which hosts the CPU -- or in nearby additional chassis that are connected in parallel to the local chassis IO bus.

Remote IO - IO in chassis that are not connected to the local IO bus. Remote IO status is transferred to and from the local chassis via a serial interface.

Distributed IO - IO in modules that are not part of a chassis, but are modular units that transfer IO status to and from the local chassis via a serial interface.

NOTE: "Serial interface" may include Ethernet.