1769-L25ER to PLC5 comms

martinshaw

Hi
I have searched the forum and found a couple of pointers but none which have solved the problem, so here goes.

I have a 1769-L24ER trying to talk to a PLC5 over Ethernet using messages. On the 1769-L24ER, when I try to create the message link and create the path, I get a 'can't find module' error. The reason I think is that when I browse for the path, there is no Ethernet module seen as it seems to be built into the processor module. If I select that and follow with ,2,ip-address I get the error. I tried using 1,0,2,ip-address and 1,1,2,ip-address as suggested in some threads but to no avail. Incidentally, when using 1,1,2,ip-address this does as it should as the discrete IO is in slot 1 but doesn't communicate.
To see if its a problem communicating with the PLC5 (I checked the manuals for series and version numbers and they are ok), I tried to talk to a controllogix but with the same outcome so I think the problem is I can't reference the Ethernet module on my host PLC.
Any ideas?
Martin.

The current generation of CompactLogix, including the 1769-L24 controller, considers the Ethernet module to be built into the CPU.

The PLC-5E also considers the CPU and Ethernet interface to be part of the same object, so you don't need to designate a target slot number.

So your CIP Path is: "2, IP_Address".

You don't have to browse for any ports or object or modules; just type in the number 2, a comma, and the IP address of the PLC-5E.

Hi Ken
Thanks for the quick response.
I tried the "2,ip-address" but had the same message of module not recognised.
I did a bit more investigation and checking, mainly for my own peace of mind.
The target PLC5 and 1769-L24 are on different subnets, but the subnets are routed. Indeed, I have a ControlLogix on the same subnet as the 1769-L24 talking to the same target PLC5 over the same route so I don't think I have a network problem. I double checked this by using RSlinx on the 1769-L24 subnet and making sure it could see the PLC5 and it could.
I am beginning to think I have something more fundamental missing in my setup or maybe it is a version problem that I haven't quite found yet?
Martin.

What is the exact text of the error message and where and when do you see it ?

I don't get a "can't find module" or "module not recognized" message when I under a simple "2, IP_Address" path in the MSG configuration in Studio 5000 v21.

Remember that you don't have to use that Browse button; you can simply type in the CIP path by hand, which is the normal method when the destination controller is a PLC-5E or MicroLogix or SLC-5/05.

Is this error message showing up when you try to execute the MSG, or when you're creating the configuration ?

CIP_Path1.PNG

Hi Ken
I didn't take any screen shots of the error at the time but will be back on the plant on Monday (28-Sept-2015) so will get some and post them then.
In the meantime, the error message comes when I press 'apply' on the screen shot you have posted, so when I try to create the configuration.
Martin

Ken
Correction, I had some pictures on my phone.
The error is from one of the first attempts when I tried using the browse button so ignore the P56307 PLC name before the 2,ip-address.

After this I tried
1,1,2,ip-address
1,0,2,ip-address
2,ip-address
All gave the same error message.
Martin

DSC_0348.jpg

"2, 123.10.1.200" is absolutely the correct syntax for this controller.

Try it again offline, or add logic so that the MSG isn't Enabled while you're trying to change the Path element.

Or, try creating a new MESSAGE type control tag for this MSG instruction, in case the old one is somehow corrupted.

And be sure that all the MSG instructions have their own unique MESSAGE type control tag !

1769-L25R to PLC5 comms

Hi Ken
I know its been while since we contributed to this thread, but I thought I would let you know that I sorted it in the end. I ended up going back to first principles and working through the code from scratch. I didn't seem to do anything different (but obvously did) to make it work so can't give a definitve 'fix'. I could post the code in both PLC's and the config if you think it would help others?
Thanks for your help along the way.
Martin.

On the cell phone picture above path is wrong,
You must remove prefix "P56307," leaving just 2,<IPaddress>

I tried using the browse button so ignore the P56307 PLC name before the 2,ip-address.
You can't use Browse and can't ignore this prefix,
remove it and all will be working

p11.jpg

Last edited: