Upgrading firmware on Controllogix

Jim G.

I have a 1756-L62 processor in use on a system. I want to replace it with a 1756-L73. I need to upgrade the firmware in the L73. Can I do this using just a rack on a workbench and a USB cable? I keep getting an error stating that the object is not in the proper mode. What does this mean? Thanks

Hi,

It usually means that the processor is not in the correct mode for flashing.
Make sure the key switch is in the "Program" mode (PROG) position before attempting to flash the firmware.

When the processor is connected to the computer Windows should automatically install the Rockwell USBCIP device driver and RSLinx Classic should then automatically add a USB driver to its RSWho window. You should then be able to see the processor under this USB driver.

This has now configured the path to the processor for ControlFlash to use. You can now close RSLinx Classic.

In ControlFlash, when you reach the part where you select the path to the processor to flash, browse through the USB driver and select the processor. This should be the first instance under the driver. Do not start browsing down through the Ethernet port, or the like. An incorrect selection here can also throw the same incorrect mode error message.

This should allow you to flash the processor, once the key switch is set to "PROG".

Regards,
George

USB_Flash.jpg

Hi guys,

sorry to jump onto this old post,

but i am thinking of upgrading my L61 to the new L72.

I am currently at the limit of memory on the L61 and hope this will clear that problem.

Can anyone share if they have done something similar and it was a good idea?

thank you

What firmware revision is the 1756-L61 using?...

Just one consideration that may or may not be relevant here...

A 1756-L61/A processor supports firmware revision r12.xx to r20.xx.

A 1756-L61/B processor supports firmware revision r13.40 to r20.xx.

A 1756-L72 processor supports firmware revision r19.13 or later.

If the 1756-L61 processor is currently using firmware revision r19.13 or r20.xx, then the project conversion to a 1756-L72 processor will be relatively straight forward as the necessary version of RSLogix 5000 is already installed.

However, if the 1756-L61 processor is currently using a firmware revision previous to r19.13, say r17.xx, and you do not have RSLogix 5000 v19.xx or later installed, then you would have to install the necessary version before performing the "Change Controller" procedure i.e. RSLogix 5000 v19.xx minimum.

Most contract programmers have most to all these versions of RSLogix 5000 installed, up to v20.xx and beyond, but some company based programmers may only have the highest version required to support the installed base. When I arrived at my current company in 2010, the latest they had installed was RSLogix 5000 v13, as at the time that was the latest they needed. I quickly rectified that. I currently have v10 through v28 installed and at my disposal, whether I need them, or not. I suppose it's hard to let the contractor in me go? He is still quite useful now and again.

Another consideration here is if you wanted to go "new" with your L72 firmware and flash it to r21.xx or later. These revisions, of course, require Studio 5000 and Logix Designer software. If, again, you do not already have the necessary version of Logix Designer installed on your workstation to do this, you would be taking a leap from the v20 and older era to the v21 and newer era of programming software. This, in itself, can introduce headaches with compatibility issues between the newer and older versions of software you would have installed on your workstation.

If you're "fully covered" for this newer controller, software-wise, then ignore my observations. If not for you, it might prove to be useful info for others.

Regards,
George

Hi guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my L61 to the new L72.

I am currently at the limit of memory on the L61 and hope this will clear that problem.

Can anyone share if they have done something similar and it was a good idea?

thank you

It's done all the time. So long as you have the software that supports the old hardware and new hardware.

When supporting customers that go to newer hardware I like to take advantage of the downtime and move their firmware version up.