silo simulator 3 switch selector

fnona

can someone help me i have an assignment due tomorrow i attached a pic of the assignment my current program isnt working.
Untitled.png

Nobody here is going to do your homework for you (and with so little detail we couldn't even if we wanted to).

If you put some detail into where you're up to, what's working, what isn't working, where you think the problem might be, what you've tried so far, etc, then you'll find that there are a lot of good people here willing to give you guidance :)

Nobody here is going to do your homework for you (and with so little detail we couldn't even if we wanted to).

If you put some detail into where you're up to, what's working, what isn't working, where you think the problem might be, what you've tried so far, etc, then you'll find that there are a lot of good people here willing to give you guidance :)

Im just really new to this stuff and the teacher hasnt been very helpful so im panicking at the moment. I dont know where to go from here.

No problem, take some deep breaths and relax. One thing that will never, ever help you in a PLC programming career is panicking. Besides, when the proverbial s*** hits the fan, there will be plenty of people around you doing all the panicking, no need for you to join in! ;)

I haven't used the LogixPro software before so I'm not familiar with the project. If I'm going to be able to help, I'm still going to need more information. What are the "continuous" and "manual restart" methods of operation? What is the system as a whole intended to do? What is happening, and what's not happening that should be? What are the inputs for your 3 position switch?

The first thing you should do is lay out in your own words exactly what should happen when, for every sequence of operation. Then pick out the point where what you're seeing doesn't match your description of what should happen. 9 times out of 10, doing something like this will actually help you find the problem on your own because you're forcing yourself to process each part of the logic/sequence in your brain, which quite often leads to a "oh yes! and I forgot this!" or something similar.

Others who know the exercises may chime in with some further info, but as I say, the more understanding and willingness to have a decent go at it yourself you demonstrate, the more helpful people here will be.

(side note, if someone ever gave me a program with comments like "bit 2" on anything, they wouldn't be getting paid. Even if it's the last thing you do at the end of the project, go through and make your documentation comprehensive to the point of pedantic. When you get called back to look at a system you built 3 years ago and have forgotten how it works, you will hate yourself for not doing it)

[edit] glad you got it working. You're always welcome to come back if you need more help, but as I say - the more detail you can provide, the more help you'll get!

@fnona,
This may be a little late to help you but there are several examples of the silo exercises in the "Downloads" section (see buttons at the top of screen) in the Allen Bradley section.

Last edited:
Hi Fiona, when you have this Silo exercise working as you think it should, most people in my option, don't test the program fully. The main fault of most programs (including all the ones in the download section) is that when the box is full and you slow down the scan process, move the box so it isn't under the Silo outlet but is still in the Proxi sensor, then put into manual and start and you will most probable fill the floor with product. As you could imagine if this was a real process management would be unimpressed with your coding if this fault was present (I was a bit surprised Lance01 hadn't noticed this or he may have and l missed it in 1 of his 10,000 post (amazing volunteering of his time and experience thanks Lance)) So then you need to change the code to rectify this, when you have corrected that (which l think will cause you to understand programming better) you will be way ahead of your other class mates.