Rockwell Price

ohaler38

Hello to all. This is my first post....

Last fall I installed a new ML1400 PLC & programmed it using RSLogix 500 which came with RSLinx Lite. The HMI is an Automation Direct unit.

About a month a go, we purchased a copy of RSView32 Works 75 tag. I couldn't get RSView to communicate with the PLC. I then discovered that RSView cannot be used with RSLinx Lite. I requested the lowest cost option to establish communication. Our local distributer recommended RSLinx single node since we only have one PLC. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the cost of this version of RSLinx was $674..... I was reluctant to purchase software, but I had little choice.

Has anyone had this experience & is there a more economical way to get RSView to communicate with an AB PLC?

It is correct that RSView32 needs RSLinx Single Node, or RSLinx OEM, or a 3rd party OPC Server. I doubt that there exists a 3rd party OPC server that is less expensive than RSLinx Single Node.
There are bundle packes of RSView32 and RSLinx Single Node or OEM, and this a little bit less expensive than buying them separately.

Unfortunately that is how it is :(

The OPC-UA server from Inductive Automation is free and includes an allen bradley ethernet driver. Not having used it with RSview32 I can't say 1st hand if it will do your job. If you need more pre-built functionality than advanced HMI, a single IA Ignition vision client is $600 - 1 client, unlimited tags.

Edit: just checked the IA site and it appears with 7.8 the allen bradley driver is now $300

Last edited:
I think that RSView32 can only connect with OPC DA, not OPC UA. That is, I cannot find anything that says it can work with UA.

IMO RSView32 is a platform that is rapidly becoming obsolete, and also expensive for the smaller HMI/SCADA requirements. Soooo, maybe it is best to consider other alternatives, even if you have already sunk money into RSView32.

+1 on not using 32.

We are starting to upgrade the existing 32 systems we have out there. It is not really "supported" with Windows 7 or higher, especially 64bit. With XP on its last legs as well, if this is for production, would need to upgrade to the latest SE or ME software.

Thanks for all of your replies. I guess I'm just venting because I feel that Rockwell should NOT charge for software to communicate their software products to thier PLC's. For $1375 for RSView32 it should have included the proper version of RSLinx.

In the future, I will definitely consider a different brand of SCADA Software.

BTW, Bob O. I did look at the AdvancedHMI software before ordering RSView. I guess I'm just lazy and didn't want to learn a new software package. In hind sight, I should have looked at it a little closer.

BTW, Bob O. I did look at the AdvancedHMI software before ordering RSView. I guess I'm just lazy and didn't want to learn a new software package. In hind sight, I should have looked at it a little closer.

There really isn't much to learn, it's all pretty much drag/drop. I suggest that even if you don't plan on using it for this that you give it a try sometime.

-Download Visual Studio Express or Visual Studio Community edition (free), then AdvancedHMI
-Open AdvancedHMI in Visual Studio
-Build the project
-Open MainForm.vb
-Drag/Drop a driver to the form (from the toolbox), set it's IP address property
-Drag/Drop a component(button, gauge, etc), set it's PLC address property
-Run it

There are plenty of people here that will help you out and AHMI has it's own forum that has really good support there too.

The price of RSLinx Single Node used to be in the $300 range... I think the price may reflect its decreasing popularity and a push to migrate to software like FTView Machine Edition for small systems.

RSView32, when it was new and shiny, did have built-in Direct communication drivers for the PLC families that were also popular at the time.

A great technical description of the differences between Direct, DDE, and OPC driver comms to RSView32 is in the RA Knowledgebase as Document ID #7150.

I don't know if you could configure an RSView32 Direct Driver to work with a MicroLogix 1400 controller. I have not attempted it.

Could you use FTView ME Station?

That will run on the desktop, supports Windows 7/8, includes RSLinx Enterprise, works with RSLinx Lite (if you really wanted to use it), and should be close/less cost than RSView32.
But you would also have to buy FTView Studio license to develop.

A license is not needed if

RSView32 can use an unlicensed RSLinx Professional
I do it all the time
However the PLC must also be a AB line of PLC's.
So RSView32/RSLinx Pro/SLC/PLC/Logix works just fine.
Use the TCP/IP and an topic and it works no problem

Last edited: