Can't go between V19 & V20 RSL5000

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I am having trouble going between V19 and V20 projects, on RSL5000. I have been fighting this the past week, since re-hosting software to a new laptop. Yesterday RS support remote into my laptop and she was able to open both. She did it quickly yet I followed her. She would go to Program Files (x86)>Rockwell Software>RSLogix 5000>ENU>v19>Bin>RS5000. Then, to open my v20 program she did the same thing except after ENU it was v20>Bin>RS5000. I have tried to open the v19 project today, and it will not open! I continually get the error shown. If I had hair, I would have pulled it out by now! On my old laptop all I had to do was select the project and it opened it in the proper version, no errors. Darn frustrating.

RSL5000 error.jpg

not sure what you mean "going between" the two versions ...

but maybe this will help ... this is the way I set up the different RSLogix versions for the classroom computers ...

go to the same "path" that you mentioned - but when you get to the RSLogix5000.exe file don't click it to open the software ... instead RIGHT-CLICK on the executable file and DRAG-AND-DROP it to the desktop ... when you turn the mouse loose, you should get a pop-up menu ... select CREATE A SHORTCUT HERE ... now rename the shortcut to the version number ...

what MOST folks do is just start "RSLogix Enterprise" from the Windows menu ... this usually brings up the LAST version that you used - and then when you open a file of another version, the software should (that's "SHOULD") automatically shut down one version - and open the other ... for the work that I do, I find it easier to have an icon for each version handy on my desktop ...

hope this helps, but if not - give us more details about what you're trying to do here ... what's the problem? ...

SHORTCUTS.PNG

Last edited:
going further ...

based on Knowledgebase #723113 - I'm betting (pocket change only) that your computer just doesn't have the proper version (16, 17, etc.) loaded for the controller/program that you're trying to access ...

if it's a CONTROLLER, then go to RSLinx and right-click the controller and do "Device Properties" ... see what revision/version you need ...

if it's a FILE, then open the file with Notepad/WordPad - and check the LAST line in the header to see what revision/version you need ... DO NOT - DO NOT - "save" the file when you're through with Notepad/WordPad ... that would corrupt the file - and be "bad" ...

not sure what you mean "going between" the two versions ...

but maybe this will help ... this is the way I set up the different RSLogix versions for the classroom computers ...

go to the same "path" that you mentioned - but when you get to the RSLogix5000.exe file don't click it to open the software ... instead RIGHT-CLICK on the executable file and DRAG-AND-DROP it to the desktop ... when you turn the mouse loose, you should get a pop-up menu ... select CREATE A SHORTCUT HERE ... now rename the shortcut to the version number ...

what MOST folks do is just start "RSLogix Enterprise" from the Windows menu ... this usually brings up the LAST version that you used - and then when you open a file of another version, the software should (that's "SHOULD") automatically shut down one version - and open the other ... for the work that I do, I find it easier to have an icon for each version handy on my desktop ...

hope this helps, but if not - give us more details about what you're trying to do here ... what's the problem? ...

Thank you Ron, I will give that a try today. When I called into Rockwell Tech support the lady accessed my laptop and within seconds she had opened both projects, with different versions. She told me there is nothing wrong with the install nor with the activation. I have RSL5000 Mini but she told me it didn't matter, it should open RSL5000, regardless as to whether it was CompactLogix or ControLogix. I was ready to wing the thing over the fence last night. 🔨

Mini will not open ControlLogix project, Mini is for Compactlogix only
You must have Standard Edition or higher to open ControlLogix project

I remember reading that here on this forum once. What I don't get though, the Rockwell Tech connected to my laptop and she opened both of these projects, one was from a CXL the other from CPX. I followed her as closely as I could and copied what she did. I shut down my laptop, went to it the next day and the darned thing started popping-up that error again. I am not sure what happened with Allen-Bradley, RSL5 and 500 work beautifully, no complaints at all. What little time I have spent with RSL5000, I am not impressed. I am certain there are many new features that make RSL5000 better than the others, like being able to use tags from PLC into the HMI quickly helps with set up, I just have yet to find more of them. Not a rant, just my humble opinion.

I have seen funny things happen with activations too in this vein. I had one laptop that could open ControlLogix programs with a Mini activation, but if that mini activation was rehosted to a VM, neither the VM nor the host could open it.

Before you get too hung up on this being RS5000's fault, note that what you're experiencing is not a fault at all, in the sense that you do not have the license and should not be able to open a ControlLogix program. The fact that sometimes, under certain conditions, you can open it - now that's a fault, but I would argue not one to get terribly upset about.

And just a quick P.S. from my humble opinion: if I were you and I wanted to stay working in the automation industry, I'd knuckle down and get RS5000 worked out and find a way to make it work for me, because technology has never gone back the way it came and it's not going to start now :)

I'm intrigued by this "anomaly". I've never seen nor heard of RSLogix 5000 Mini Edition being able to open ControlLogix projects? It certainly never happened to me when I used to have it on an old laptop. Sometimes I'd try to open a Sample Project while not realising it was for a ControlLogix and so it wouldn't open. I usually converted it to a CompactLogix just to access it for reference.

I can understand that this could possibly happen as an anomaly under certain circumstances, but for a member of RA Support to state that having Mini Edition does not matter, when attempting to open ControlLogix projects, does not make any sense?

From what you're saying that they said, and what they appeared to have achieved when they remoted in, it would suggest that they have a way to circumvent the Mini Edition's controller restrictions?

If they had said that to me then it definitely would have been a "What you talkin bout Willis?" moment.

All that curiosity aside...

The shortest answer I can give you is that if you need to work with ControlLogix hardware then you should have at least the Standard Edition if not the Professional Edition of RSLogix 5000, period.

Now that you know that you should never have been able to legitimately open ControlLogix projects using the limited Mini Edition, you should cease pursuing this path and consider purchasing an Edition that does support ControlLogix hardware. Again, if you really need it.

Still, I would love to see a transcript of that Support call?

Regards,
George

Now that you know that you should never have been able to legitimately open ControlLogix projects using the limited Mini Edition, you should cease pursuing this path and consider purchasing an Edition that does support ControlLogix hardware. Again, if you really need it.

Still, I would love to see a transcript of that Support call?

Regards,
George

The transcript wouldn't help, she accessed my laptop remotely and did it. You are correct though, I have ceased pursuing that path and am purchasing the proper software. Thank you.

ceilingwalker said:
...I have RSL5000 Mini but she told me it didn't matter, it should open RSL5000, regardless as to whether it was CompactLogix or ControLogix...

By "transcript", I meant of the verbal phone conversation where they said that you having Mini Edition didn't matter, or words to that effect.

Them making that statement just does not make sense, knowing what we know about Mini Edition.

But your getting sorted now, which is good news.

Regards,
George