I/O usage on RSL5000

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I would like to know how accurate the usage is (attachment) in RSL5000. I know in RSL5 and 500 it can show certain bits are not being used however, they are indeed using them, sometimes for module configuration and so on. I would like to know if the usage in the attachment can be depended upon. If it isn't there, it isn't used? Will this always be the case? I ask this because, in my example below, bit 10 shows it is used however, when I run a cross reference it shows nothing but a blank field. Could it be because the bit has been enabled but is not in use? Thank you

Usage.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen that if an alias has been made to that bit but neither the alias nor the bit directly is used in the program.

Also, the system seems to know if a current external device, like an HMI, is utilizing that bit. I know at least it won't let me delete, while online, tags which are being used by an HMI. See if any of that gives a clue.

I would like to know if the usage in the attachment can be depended upon.

not always ... you're better off using the Cross Reference ... even then, something like an HMI could be using/controlling/reading the bit - in which case the Cross Reference tool might be misleading also ...