RSLogix 5000 Saving Tag Data

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have to modify a program that has been running in the field for several weeks now. I would like to be able to save the tag data before I download the modified program. Then download the current tag values with the updated program so I don't loose any data. I have looked into the Tag upload/download tool but it requires a licensed version of RSlinx. That is running about $700 for a single processor version.

I don't mind paying for it if I have to, but seems to me there would be a easier way to do this without having to spend money. You guys have any ideas??

Also I wouldn't mind paying for the RSLinx if it gives me more features that I can use. What do you get with the Licensed version of Linx that you don't get with the free version?

Thanks for your help!!

How are you with Visual Basic? Personally I'd use AdvancedHMI, write a little VB to store the values of the tags you want to a text file. Then when you are ready, write the data back in. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

I may be able to help you out with it in the evenings if you want. Shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the offer Dustin!! I have no experience with VB at all. Since there is a solution available I think I will go that direction and save us both a bunch of time. I will just buy the license for RSLogix and use the upload/download too.

Maybe some day when I get into a jam and really need some VB help, you will be able to help me then.(y) Again I really appreciate the offer!!

Take a look at the Export/Import Feature of a routine or program. I have often made modifications to routines offline then import to online program without changing existing values. If you right click on a subroutine you will see the export command listed. If you right click on the Program you will see the Import subroutine command. Same goes with Program Task. Right click on Program for Export and Right Click on Main Task for Import.

Whenever possible, I've always found best practice is to make changes to a running system OR when I arrive and the machine is not running, upload the program make the changes and then download.

Tonight I will put together an AdvancedHMI application to retrieve tags and their values, then save them to a text file.

I'll post it in the Sample Project section.

I hope you haven't purchased anything yet!...

Bullzi,

I've mentioned this before here on the Forum...

The Tag Upload Download Tool is used for uploading and downloading tag data on a running system. Hence the use of OPC topics. This is useful where you need to upload or download tag data without stopping the system.

For situations where you will be taking the system offline to perform a project download, but need to preserve the tag data while doing so, then the Data Preserve Download Tool is your friend. This does not require the use of OPC topics and so does not require a licensed version of RSLinx Classic. However, the controller must be in Program Mode to use this tool. It saves the tag data out to a CSV file and once the project download is complete it then downloads the tag data back into the controller...

54946 - RSLogix 5000 Data Preserve Download Tool
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George