Devicenet Tag Generator - Copy Protection Not Found

brettdawnj

I am having trouble at a new site with using the Devicenet Tag Generator. When attempting to use it, it fails with the following message:

The copy protection for RSNetWorx for Devicenet was not found.
This application will run in DEMO Mode, which will limit your use to addresses 0 - 6.

I have gone to the AB Knowledgebase and found the following:

DeviceNet Tag Generator Tool Error- Copy Protection for RSNetWorx Not Found
525014 | 02/18/2013 | Access Level: Everyone

The problem appears that in v21 (and maybe above??) that unless you remove and reinstall the Dnet Tag Generator to v21 level, then the generator will not work. In this KB they give you access to download Tag Generator v21.

I did everything that the KB shows to do, and I am still getting this error (even though I have a fully licensed version of RSWorx for Dnet v21 running and working for all other functions).

I have gone to another computer at work that has v21 installed for both Studio5000 and RSWorks for Dnet and it also has the same problem. I have even installed v27 on my laptop to see if this might be the issue, and it also has the same copy protection failure and puts you into the 0-6 Demo Mode.

I was also thinking it might be related to us running the Mini version of Studio5000 instead of the full version. Our distributor has sent me a 1 month trial license for the full version of Studio5000, and this does not work. So v21 and v27 have been tried on a full version. None of it works.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to try next? I am loosing crucial programming time and concerned about my project schedule. So far, I have lost 2 days trying to sort this out without any luck.

Thanks for any support and/or suggestions.

Brett

Same problem here and have never found a fix; I've been ignoring it and has worked with more than 6 devices. Hasn't created any issues that I'm aware of as I used it in several systems.

Thanks for sharing your experience. However, in my case, nodes above 06 do not end up being assigned with the proper tag data user type. So if you have a new type of module or your using different devices, the tag data user type is incorrect (which means the the tag data structure is not correct for the device you are trying to use... which causes problems with function and tag names/structures). I suspect if you were using the same devices in the same address locations, then you are correct that it will work and you don't need to worry about the 0-6 error.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how were you able to solve it?

I have tried the AB KB solution shown above (uninstall old tag generator and reinstall new v21 tag generator), v21 of Studio 5000 & RSWorx for Dnet, v27 of Studio 5000 & v21 RSWorx for Dnet, and also the v21 versions on another computer.

All have the same problem of telling me:

The copy protection for RSNetWorx for Devicenet was not found.
This application will run in DEMO Mode, which will limit your use to addresses 0 - 6.

I am assuming that there must be a solution to this as I don't see many posts online related to this error.

Any other ideas on what to try?