Help! SLC Processor with Major Fault 1F39h-Invalid String Length

lunenburger

I have a SLC 5/05 processor with a Major Fault 1F39h. The processor is running fine with the fault, but I would like to know what is causing it?
I cannot find any information on what data file ST31 is.

If you check the attached picture, you can see there is no data file ST31, and I checked the processor status data table S2 and I can see no issues there??

SLCFault.jpg

I may have to break down and get a pair of reading glasses... sigh...

What happens when you click on Clear Major Error?

If you navigate to the major fault and press F1 for help it will lead you to fault code explanation. XX39 is invalid string length and it's cause by some logic in your file 2.

Yes...sorry for the resolution, if you copy the pic to your desktop, it is much clearer.
When I clear major error, it comes right back.
I figure it is a programming error somewhere.. how did you know it was in file2??

From Help.

Fault/Powerdown (Rung #) S:20 - (File #) S:21
This is the word and file that the processor last executed before a major error or powerdown occurred.

You said there is not file ST31 but is there any logic that refers to ST31?

See Knowledgebase 17911

You have an invalid string length occurring somewhere (length is greater than 82 or less than 0).

Ignore the 'no ST31' fact. Just find the length problem.

Last edited:
Thank you Bernie for typing "length" more than 82.....
Rockwell keeps saying a "value" of 82 which didn't make sense to me.

It's funny I put the error code in to the knowledgebase a few hours ago and it couldn't find anything, but I just put it in again and I came up with 17911 like you suggested.....

I am home now but will check back tomorrow to see if there is too many characters in one of the status files.

Thanks everyone...
I couldn't find any status files less than zero or longer than 82 characters.
But in order to reset the fault you have to follow tech note 17911:

NOTE: The error code and the S:5/15 bit will still be set until the user MANUALLY RESETS the error code to 0 and S:5/15 to zero.

once I did this the error was cleared....