Portable unit for batch transfer, need advice

Martindag

Hi guys,

I need to complet a project someone else started :confused: ,
so alot of the component is already bought, i just need to figure out the best way to use them! o_O
it's a portable pumping unit that need to transfert X type of liquid of X quantity from (Tank.A to Tank.B) or (Tank.B to Tank.A) which going to be mount with hose and camlocks has needed.

The component i have infront of me to build this thing are:

-A gear pump with electric motor (10hp 575v 3ph) which can pump on both direction.
-A Danfoss Aquadrive which will control my speed and direction of my pump.
-A small PLC and HMI
-A Krohne electromagnetic flowmeter ( give 1 pulse every 1kg of liquid).

For the pumping in both direction and all i guess im fine with this part.
What i need is to find a way to keep the count of my liquid i transfer in both direction with 1 flowmeter, make it prety compact, accurate as much has i can, and to be portable. Like with a jigger lift.

My first guess would be to use like 2 valve in my circuit to pressurize my pipe and fill them and keep them filled before counting my liquid or something like that. Can't really use checkvalve or footvalve... it need to work in both direction...

That's prety much it about what i need to do, and would really appreciate your feedback and idea for my project,
like how would to make your setup or what component i should get, or how to make it work to get the best result.

Thanks !

Horner has a few units that can be used on a portable system.
DC power from a battery, Analog I/O build-in, High Speed counter for pulses and such.
Look at the XLe series, small display and button navigation or XL4, small touch screen.
XL7 has a color touch and all of the I/O mentioned already.

Would have been a great product to use for portable purpose however, my PLC and HMI is already bought. Someone bought them before i get on that project so... i have to deal with this.

But thanks i keep that link, will be useful.

A few questions I have:
1. How accurate do you need to be? If you can tolerate some error in your measurement in the beginning of the batch you may not need valves for back pressure.
2. Do you have a P&ID or a Flow Diagram to give us a idea how things are piped?
3. When the tanks are not being moved can you tolerate any mixtures between the tanks? if not it gets more complicated.
4. How automatic do you want this to be? Can you install a manual valve in the line?

The answers to this will help me if not others get a good idea of what you are needing.

Accuracy= under 3%, so not that bad
Yea i got a brain storming diagram i could link if i find out how to link a image on the forum !I would'nt mind installing a manual valve .

One of the big problem is one of the stuff also is prety much like a glue... it stick on any type of sensor or pressure switch i could put in my circuit. Also i need a input value on my HMI to change the K factor of the liquid im going to use.

oh yeah and the tank A and B are like under the pumping unit, and the hose will have the me primed everytime we use it, so i will need like a set of valve just to prime my entrance of liquid before i can actualy start pumping it for good.

Here a link of my idea so far
Oh and something changed on the project. I dont need to pump on both way. Only (Tank A to Tank B) in one direction. Also the pump unit should be most of the time above the tank level. So we will have to prime the system slowly before we start the real pumping and bleed the air with a valve or something.

Last edited: