Newbie Question -- What version of the FT view to control network via Ethernet?

ra_puzzle

Hello, y'all!

In order to connect the control network from a central room, what version of FT should be used on the PCs?

Thank you very much!

Hello ra_puzzle welcome to the forum.
Could you give us a little more info on what you want to do?
You are trying to use FT to connect to what? Is this going to be server based?
If you could maybe put together a drawing or something that shows what exactly you want to accomplish I am sure we can get you going in the right direction.

Thanks for quick reply.

See pic at

http://i61.tinypic.com/148klqv.jpg

What I wanted to know is what version of the FT to be installed on these PCs.

A. 1747 Power Supply (Existing)
B. CompactLogix L30ER (New)
C. Ethernet Adaptor 1747-AENTR (New)
D. Stratix Managed Switch (New)
F. Digital Input (Existing)
G. Digital Output (Existing)
H. Analog Input/Output (Existing)
J. Spare Slot with Filler Cover (New/Existing)
K. Fiber Patch Panel (New/Existing)
M. Ethernet Media Convertor (New)
N. PC (New)
X. PanelView Plus 7 Performance EOI (New)
Z. 1783-NATR NAT Device

Last edited:
I will admit my experience with Factory Talk has been limited to ME version. Until one of the other guys with more experience comes on and bats clean up I will try and help.

I think you will need FTView Site Edition (SE) but as I understand it, you can install that on a server. Then for each PC you would just need to install a SE client.

I just read the requirement again. It says 2 PCs need the FT View SE, both of them should be "stand-alone". In this case, I guess each PC has to be independent.

What SE version can monitor the control network but with least cost?

Did a little more research. IF you go with SE Server you can install that on a server and then have clients on the other PC's.
There is also a SE Site that you put a license on each computer. It isn't "shareable" like server is.
As for what is better would depend on how many PC's you are using and the cost difference.

No FTView is "Least Cost". Get rid of that thinking right away.
FTView SE, whether distributed or standalone, is licensed by the number of display windows you anticipate needing. If your application needs 15 different displays (not monitors, but actual graphic windows) you purchase a 25 display license. If you need 195, you purchase a 250 display license.

Nobody here can answer as to what product you actually need.

As for what version, install the latest. Why bother with anything else? For the record, the latest is 8.1, which FINALLY gets rid of the 25+ year old string/numeric entry keypad, but doesn't fix anything else.

If you don't have it, download the free ProposalWorks application from Rockwell. It has current pricing on all of the products that they offer. And your distributor doesn't discount Rockwell Software hardly at all, so you can use the ProposalWorks prices as accurate.

This sort of product selection question is an ideal thing to discuss with your Rockwell Automation distributor. There's nothing wrong with asking the question here on this Forum, but sometimes an in-person or telephone discussion will yield better results faster.

Any version of FactoryTalk View can communicate over Ethernet to a CompactLogix. The communication driver is called "RSLinx Enterprise".

I noticed that there is a PanelView Plus operator interface terminal as a new piece of equipment.

PanelView Plus terminals run a version of FactoryTalk View called "Machine Edition" (ME). Machine Edition can also run on ordinary Windows PCs.

If your PC stations are intended to perform the same functions as the PanelView terminal, then FactoryTalk View ME is a better choice because you can re-use most of the application you build for the PanelView terminal.

If the PC stations need more functionality, like database connectivity and VBA scriping, then maybe they do need FactoryTalk View Site Edition (SE). And the "standalone" requirement in the spec probably leads you to the "Station" edition of SE, which bundles the Server and Client functions onto a single PC instead of distributing them onto different computers.