To siemens s7

amhd90

hello everyone,
I finished my allen-bradley training basics using some websites, and free softwares like LogixPro, RSLogix micro lite starter.
Now I need to start on with siemens s7 softwares.
Is their any free siemens softwares to start with or any tutorials online for it ?
Remember i am unemployed and cant afford anything in this time.
And, it is good to learn different types of PLCs like AB and Siemens or should i stick to one type, and the other are the same in the term of programming language ?

hello everyone,
I finished my allen-bradley training basics using some websites, and free softwares like LogixPro, RSLogix micro lite starter.
Now I need to start on with siemens s7 softwares.
Is their any free siemens softwares to start with or any tutorials online for it ?
Remember i am unemployed and cant afford anything in this time.
And, it is good to learn different types of PLCs like AB and Siemens or should i stick to one type, and the other are the same in the term of programming language ?

Hi!

The only free S7 software I know, is Step7 Lite. It is quite old, so I don't think it can run on 64bit Windows.
It is still available for downloading on the Siemens web.

You could also consider to learn about CoDeSys. The software is free and it has a built-in simulator. And you will find lots of stuff on youtube.
CoDeSys can be used on the smaller ABB and Schneider CPUS, on Wago, Bosch, some Mitsubishis(!), and hundreds more.

Kalle

I agree with KalleOlsen. CoDeSys is a very good system to learn for a number of reasons. One of the big reasons is that unless you end up in an industry/region that uses Rockwell or Siemens by default, you will likely be working with CoDeSys or a very close derivative. CoDeSys is an extremely popular runtime with hardware designers that want to include an industrial control runtime but don't want to develop their own. That covers most hardware designers. So there will definitely be a market for individuals that can work with CoDeSys.

The other big point is it's free to develop with. That's a big plus for people like you who are trying to learn on your own.

But in the end, don't get too focused on platform. It is more important to know how to build a house than to know how to operate a specific saw. PLC platforms will come and go as user preference and economics change. But good logic development is a constant.

Keith

Thank you all for your useful replies. I will learn siemens S7 now, and I will go for CoDeSys too. I am unemployed, so I have the time for any type.
But I have another question: Let me consider that someday an HR called me for an interview, and in this interview a person asked me the following:
A manufacturing facility manager called you, and told you that their is a machine won't work properly, and it wasn't an elect/mechanical problems. So obviously, it is the PLC. What is your strategy when you will try to fix the machine (What you will use to test and troubleshoot, what software according to the plc type,...)
That is the main question that someday i will be facing it so any help ?
Thank you.

Thank you all for your useful replies. I will learn siemens S7 now, and I will go for CoDeSys too. I am unemployed, so I have the time for any type.
But I have another question: Let me consider that someday an HR called me for an interview, and in this interview a person asked me the following:

That is the main question that someday i will be facing it so any help ?
Thank you.

In my expirience.. I'll ask "did it work before?" and look if the plc is in red or green..

If it worked and it is in green, I won't believe them :D

I always use this flowchart at first:
103186d1375311162t-invaluable-troubleshooting-flowchart-cid_image001_png%4001ce8dcb-jpg

If they don't like my solution, I dig deeper...

If you can get your hands on a DVD with either Simatic Manager or TIA and install it on a virtual machine, you will be able to run a trial license. When your trial elapses, you revert the machine to a back up and keep going.

LOGO is very different from the S7 series, I wouldn't spend to much time on it..

In my mind, it will probably serve you better to get good with one system than dabble in two. However, a lot of that depth comes from on the job experience, you can only learn so much on your own.

If you're looking to get started on Siemens software, there is some material that Siemens has developed for schools to use for training. You can find some the tutorials here:
http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/sce/en/advanced_training/training_material/Pages/default.aspx

100% correct

In my expirience.. I'll ask "did it work before?" and look if the plc is in red or green..

If it worked and it is in green, I won't believe them :D

I have been thru this many times and my answer is
"PLC programs don't change on there own
so no it's not the PLC" .

As for the answer to HR If that's what you want then I can waste time checking that ....... OR "I can check what I think it is".

Last edited: