Endress Hauser Promag W 400 Connection Problems

lesliematt

Hi all,

I am adding an endress hauser promag w 400 into a plant wide monitoring system. It is a CompactLogix RS5000 system. It seemed easy to add to my I/O tree since it allows me to download an .eds file from the browser application. I can add this .eds by going to Tools -> EDS Hardware Installation Tool and going through the options.

PLC IP address: 192.168.1.2
Promag 400 IP address: 172.17.41.186

I can ping and connect to the promag from my laptop but when I go online with the plc I get an error '16#0204 Connection Request Error: Connection Request Timed Out'. From what I have read up on here is sounds like this comes from a physical issue (ie network switch). I am not sure how to trouble shoot this since it is a large plant and there are many switches between the panel and the unit.

I am unsure how to fix this problem or if it truly comes from a physical issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Matt

Promag Fault.JPG

The E&H video on this feature

http://www.us.endress.com/en/Tailor...romagnetic-flowmeter-Proline-Promag-W-400-5W4C

shows the guy using an app to change his PC IP address to one that is on the same subnet as the Promag. He uses 192.168.1.xxx as the subnet, so I assume the Promag defaults to 192.168.1.xxx

He did not enter a gateway and didn't need to because he task was point-to-point through a cable.

It isn't clear what subnet your PC is on. If your Promag is at 172.17.41..186, then your network might need to route your laptop through a gateway router.

If you just want to configure the promag, do it locally like the video shows, with both PC and Promag on the same subnet.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the info danW but I don't think this is an issue between my PC->Promag.

The issue I am having is communications between the PLC->Promag. I need to get the inputs to the PLC and then show them on a HMI. In the controller tags for the Promag it has automatically added a bunch of inputs such as volume flow, total flow etc but they all show 0.0 as a value. Then on the 'Connection Faulted' input it gives a value of 1.

Promag Tags.jpg

i would do as danw says and test the ip settings..can you ping the flow meter for example

It will probably be a cable issue or ip address setings/subnet mask etc

i would do as danw says and test the ip settings..can you ping the flow meter for example

It will probably be a cable issue or ip address setings/subnet mask etc

Though I do agree that it probably is a ip address setting/subnet mask issue. I will continue down this path.

Thanks everyone!

My device IP addresses are as follows:

PC Local
IP: 192.168.1.180
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: ....

PC Wireless
IP: 172.17.41.188
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Gateway:...

PLC:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Gateway: ...

Promag:
IP: 172.17.41.186
Gateway: 172.17.41.1

I can connect PC->Promag wirelessly
I need to connect PLC->Promag. But they are across the plant from each other so they are both plugged into hubs on the network.

Is this an issue only because they do not have matching IP addresses? If I changed the promag to a 192.168.1. ... would it work?

Last edited:
My device IP addresses are as follows:

PC Local
IP: 192.168.1.180
Gateway: ....

PC Wireless
IP: 172.17.41.188
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Gateway:...

PLC:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Gateway: ...

Promag:
IP: 172.17.41.186
Gateway: 172.17.41.1

With the IP configuration you have, those octets highlighted need to match in order for the devices to communicate. I'd tend to leave the PLC alone and alter the PC and the Promag to match it (192.168.1.x)

With the IP configuration you have, those octets highlighted need to match in order for the devices to communicate. I'd tend to leave the PLC alone and alter the PC and the Promag to match it (192.168.1.x)

🙃 I meant to say if I changed the Promag to a 192.168.1.x

I'll try this next

🙃 I meant to say if I changed the Promag to a 192.168.1.x

I'll try this next
Yes, where "x", the 4th octet is unique on the network. Figure out the value you want for "x", then ping that address from a command prompt to ensure you get no replies to make sure no other device on the network is using it before you put it in the ProMag and plug it in.

Weird stuff can happen if you have duplicate IP addresses, and don't assume nothing is out there unless you are certain of all the interconnections, but still, ping it anyway just to be sure. There is a story behind this advice, but it is long and boring.

I'm trying to get this working but not having much luck. Is everyone positive that a RS5000 plc and each device connected to it must have a similar IP address?

ie
PLC:192.168.1.2
Device:192.168.1.176

Yes. Last number is unique per device. The subnet mask is the same...usually 255.255.255.0

Hi I think it would help if you could provide a sketch of the network

You have a PLC and a flow meter. What is between them? You say gateway(s) ..how many? It maybe the gateway config is blocking the ethernet traffic.

If you disconnect the ethernet cable at the plc and plug into your laptop can you ping the flowmeter and open the webpage?