FTView Studio text sizing

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
The more I learn about working with FTView SE Studio, the more I realize I still don't know enough! In past workings with FTView ME, I'd uncheck the "Size to fit" box when creating text, selecting consistent font & size for the sake of uniformity.

Now I'm working with SE Network Distributed and the game appears to have changed. Screen sizes are not consistent throughout the plant. Some of the folks are complaining that certain text disappears on certain size windows.

Do I need to check the Size to Fit box to eliminate this issue?

If so, what can I do to make sure the text sizes look reasonably "professional"?

If you are having the displays scaled to the screen, there isn't anything you can do to make them look good.
Size to fit has nothing to do with the display itself, and only applies to sizing the text to fit its bounding box.
FTView really isn't friendly to multiple resolutions.

If you are having the displays scaled to the screen, there isn't anything you can do to make them look good.
This system is an RSView32 conversion - originally developed back when CRTs were in vogue! I cannot imagine what it would take to resize all displays for the new widescreen monitors.

Size to fit has nothing to do with the display itself, and only applies to sizing the text to fit its bounding box.
My anal-retentiveness used to drive me nuts with this as I'd spend hours trying to size each box exactly right. That's why I unchecked the Size to Fit box in the first place! I guess I need to choose between butt ugly text or occasionally invisible text, right?

FTView really isn't friendly to multiple resolutions.
I'm learning this first hand. How does that saying go about not being able to choose your siblings, in-laws, etc.???

The native "Numeric" and "String" displays are the worst, avoid at all costs. The representation during design time has no bearing at all on what the same thing will look like at runtime, and they are not very configurable.

Use a regular text object for numeric/string displays, and then insert the actual variable you want to display.