RX3i Loss of I/O Module Error

LMBrian

Hi All,

From time to time we get this error on our system and in the I/O fault table it points to Slot 3 which has the HSC module in it, (IC695HSC304). Is there a fault handler or something along those lines that I can modify to 'avoid' this fault? It lasts for just 2 seconds and is followed by Module Fault and Add'n of I/O module all within the 2 seconds window. The result of this is that it gives an incorrect process distance reading on our process and has to be re calibrated.

TIA

The "Loss of I/O Module" fault indicates that the CPU has lost backplane communication with the HSC module. The "Addition of I/O module fault indicates backplane communication was restored.

It could be a bad connection between the module and the backplane. Check for bent pins on the module.

It could be a power supply problem. Check your Proficy Machine Edition file for the power supply loading.

I would also suggest opening a case with GEIP support. The Rx3I had problems with the expansion bus transmitter module where the location of the circuit board in the plastic case prevented a solid connection to the backplane. I don't know if there were similar problems with the HSC module, but it's a question worth asking.

Thank you Steve,

I will open a case with GE support as this issue pops up on different sites. The PS loading looks good and is just using 56%. Appreciate your feedback!

This is the feedback I received from GE to update anyone that may come across the same issue:

This sounds like a noise problem, but there are a couple of other easy things to check as well. I would start by checking the backplane connectors on the counter module and the power supply for bent/recessed pins. Make sure the backplane is solidly grounded.

I suspect the real problem is noise coming in on the field wiring, causing the module to reset. Make sure your signals cables are shielded and grounded. Try to separate them from high-voltage/noisy wiring. You may need to put ferrite beads on the sensor wiring.