DF1 Half Duplex Comms

jgreenewv

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on some system mods for a customer using three SLC 5/04s. It would be handy to have all three as DF1 Half Duplex masters, so I can have one PLC poll the other two, then have the two "slave" 5/04s poll MicroLogix1000 that will be added later. I don't have the hardware in front of me right now to try it. Has anyone done this? Thanks for your input.

DF1 protocol doesn't work like that. The right way to do this is to have one SLC-5/04 as DF1 Half-Duplex Master poll all four controllers as DF1 Half-Duplex Slaves.

The slaves (at least the 5/04's, I'm not sure about the Micro 1000's) can message to one another (the master brokers this) but a device cannot both be a master and a slave on a DF1 Half-Duplex network.

That's what I was thought. The problem is that the two Micro 1000s in the example are unable to communicate directly to the master SLC due to terrain. Back to the drawing board.