Ethernet IP on Compact / Controllogix Vs. SLC 5/05

Tim Ganz

Can someone help me understand in detail the differences and limitations between Ethernet IP on a Compact / Controllogix Controller and Ethernet IP on a SLC 5/05 controller please.

It’s really not so much as the difference between a Logix controller and a SLC but rather a difference between two different protocols, Ethernet/IP TCP and Ethernet/IP UDP. The Logix processors will do both and the SLC’s and MicroLogix will only do TCP.
Ethernet/IP UDP also known as “Produce/Consume” and/or “Implicit messaging” is a continuous connection where one device “produces” the data and the other device “consumes” it. It’s considered “real time” data and doesn’t require anything in the ladder logic (no message instructions) to operate.
Ethernet/IP TCP also known as “explicit messaging” is a process where one device uses a message instruction to exchange data with another device. A connection is opened and established, the data is exchanged and the connection is closed.
UDP is faster and because you don’t have to write message instructions is more popular than TCP however it is very sensitive to the health of the connection and isn’t “wireless friendly” meaning while you can do it wirelessly you have to be careful.
TCP is slower (by milliseconds not seconds) and requires writing message instructions but it is far more robust especially when (if) you go wireless.

It’s really not so much as the difference between a Logix controller and a SLC but rather a difference between two different protocols, Ethernet/IP TCP and Ethernet/IP UDP. The Logix processors will do both and the SLC’s and MicroLogix will only do TCP.
Ethernet/IP UDP also known as “Produce/Consume” and/or “Implicit messaging” is a continuous connection where one device “produces” the data and the other device “consumes” it. It’s considered “real time” data and doesn’t require anything in the ladder logic (no message instructions) to operate.
Ethernet/IP TCP also known as “explicit messaging” is a process where one device uses a message instruction to exchange data with another device. A connection is opened and established, the data is exchanged and the connection is closed.
UDP is faster and because you don’t have to write message instructions is more popular than TCP however it is very sensitive to the health of the connection and isn’t “wireless friendly” meaning while you can do it wirelessly you have to be careful.
TCP is slower (by milliseconds not seconds) and requires writing message instructions but it is far more robust especially when (if) you go wireless.

That makes a lot more sense now. I think I have a good grasp on it now. Thanks for the help Firejo I greatly appreciate it.