OMRON Check list for newbies?

dhracer3

Hi there.
I'm pretty new to the world of automation.
Our first project our team will be doing is a recommissioning job using OMRON CJ2H PLCs.
we have the programs already and basically our team is going in and installing the programs and get everything working again.

Is there a checklist of what we should do when we arrive or could someone here that has worked with OMRON have a step by step guide/checklist of what we need to do first?

As far as I can see OMRON is fairly easy to work on.
1. Plug in via USB into the PLC. (Making sure the driver is installed first.)

2.Make sure the IO table is transferred.

3. Create a backup copy of what is already in the PLC.

4. Upload our translated version of the program into the PLC.(PLC should be in the Programming Mode?)

From there I'm not quite sure what to check unless we get error messages.

If anybody out there has experience with OMRON that can give us a checklist of some sort to direct us that would be extremely helpful.
I'm fitted with the task of kind of guiding the team here which is pretty sad but will do my best.

Thanks

Ive read through all of them.

Mainly concerned with the process of commissioning the PLCs from the first step to when we arrive to finalizing the project and saying that this PLC is ready.
I'm thinking that it is plugging into the PLC via USB and establish a connection, Backup the program installed already on it and loading our translated version in, Checking our Inputs and Ouputs are working by forcing On/Off?, check to see if all safety inputs are working and then if any errors come up using the debug console?

Looking for some clarification on this process?

Do I need to worry about firmware? As far as I can see the OMRON system is pretty user friendly and should connect automatically?

Last edited:
You may also want to consider any settings which might be stored in DM or H memory locations. You should probably back those registers up for the existing program and make sure they get set properly for the new program.

You may also want to consider any settings which might be stored in DM or H memory locations. You should probably back those registers up for the existing program and make sure they get set properly for the new program.

Ok. so make sure the DM and H memory match the new program?
The original programs were all in Finnish and we took a copy of the program and translated the comments into English.
I'm hoping those will all be the same still but good to know to check those thanks.

if the documentation complete/satisfaction and update nothing to worry,

as you say 'recommissioning',

check if there any modification on hardware/wiring before online/power up,

check all IO slot match with your documentation

check your CPU power supply,

compare up load program/memory with you latest's program before any change

and so on,bla,bla

The CJ2H series also has a significant amount of EM memory which might have been used for data storage. You might check the existing program for any references to EMn memory, If there is data stored there you would certainly want to back that up also.

The CJ2H series also has a significant amount of EM memory which might have been used for data storage. You might check the existing program for any references to EMn memory, If there is data stored there you would certainly want to back that up also.

Would I use the PLC Backup Tool to do this? Is there anything special I should do besides using the PLC Backup tool or would that backup those parts for me?

Thanks for the input

You can save or load the individual memory areas by opening the memory tab in CX programmer while online, selecting the area(s), and selecting the save to file or load from file options.

The nice thing is that I believe everything in the factory is OMRON.

One thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is does the PLC need to have the same firmware revision in order to communicate with the PC?
I know that RSLogix is pretty fussy about firmware revisions in order to communicate but from what it looks like this is not a problem with OMRON?
Can anyone verify this?

I was given a Checklist for AB systems and I need to translate it to OMRON which I think is more confusing than helpful..
Trying to make some sense of it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Omron isn't picky about stuff like that! CX-Programmer will do all of the current PLC models (and most of the antiques) except for the NJ series motion controllers. The really nice part about the CX-One package is that all updates between major releases (every 5 years or so) are a free download from Omron's website.