Gaurd distance

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for an ANSI standard. But I am not having any luck. Maybe some of you guys would know off the top of your head.

A machine has a loading conveyor. On the inside of this conveyor there is a pinch point. There are no light curtains on the conveyor side to stop the machine if someone enters it.

Is there a standard that says if there are no safety / protective devices the guarding must be X distance from the point?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys!

It looks like per that page 36" is used for openings up to 5". The opening I am looking it is more around 12" tall and maybe 24" wide.

Is there anything that would cover something like that?

What that is really talking about is the "opening size of the guarding material". I usually shorten it to "mesh" ;)

So if the mesh size if 5 inches, then the barrier needs to be at least 36 inches away. If you have a 1 inch opening, you can shorten your distance to 6.5 inches.

Ahhh ok that makes sense.

I am looking more for something that would say how long my conveyor would need to be if it has an opening of X by X inches.

Ok. The reach-over rules could apply here. We usually go with 36 inches as a rule of thumb, but if they can still reach in to where the pinch point is, you'll have to extend it.