Can't Connect to Devices on a Network

CaptHook

Hey Guys,

We have a small machine on its own network. It has an HMI, Servo Drive, PLC etc but its self contained. When i plug into the network, RSLogix detects all the devices but I can't connect to any of them. The PLC is an L33ER and I tried using the "Open from Upload" function of Studio 5000 to get the program file, but when I drill into the PLC from the Logix driver, the "Upload" and "Go Online" buttons are always greyed out.

Since most of my issues were with the servo drive, I decided to try CCW to try and get access. I went to the Discover>Browse Connections and once again it sees all the devices on the network but when i select the drive it says something to the effect of "The device is offline or not active".

In the windows command prompt, I am able to ping all devices and they all communicate with each other.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

The first thing to check is your IP address in sync with the system? If you don't have the right address RSLinx will see the units exist, and you can Ping them, but not be able to connect to them.

192.168.1.250 PLC (for example) would require you PC to have an IP starting with 192.168.1.___ with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 if the 3rd digit is under 127 - 255.255.255.0 if the 3rd digit is above 128 (not sure about exactly 127 or 128)

Thanks for the replies.

Im running RSLinx Classic Lite 3.71.00 CPR 9 SR 7.1

The network address for the PLC is:
IP 10.0.22.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

I matched my computers subnet and gateway to match and made my IP 10.0.22.251

The settings seems kind of strange to me but figured it would still work if I matched up.

There is a router that everything is plugged into but I also tried connecting directly to the servo drive but got the same results.

With the 3rd number of your IP "22" try the Subnet of 255.255.0.0

Also, it's strange the Gateway would have such a different address.

The subnet mask just has to match. There is no magic about a 10.x.x.x network requiring any special subnet.
The gateway is completely wrong, but that shouldn't affect connectivity, only trying to resolve external addresses.
The third digit of the IP address has absolutely nothing to do with the subnet.

What is the version of the PLC firmware? The drives? What version(s) of Logix 5000 do you have on your PC?

The PLC was version 20.XX (cant remember minor revision off hand) and I have v20 and v21 installed on my PC. Forgot to check on the drive, will see when I get back on to the floor.

Tried the 255.255.0.0 subnet with no luck. Ive tried with and without the weird gateway.

I assume you are plugging into a free port on a switch on the machine equipment?
Are you 100% certain that:
A) The port is working
B) The port is not disabled
C) The port is not configured for a different VLAN?

To be sure, I also plugged directly into both the PLC and the Servo (Kinetix) directly and was not able to connect to either. Im pretty unfamiliar with this particular PLC model but it had 2x Enet ports so I plugged into the second one. As for the drive, I just removed the current connection and tried to directly connect off of the rest of the network.