Sending Email and Text Messages from a PLC

gclshortt

Sending email messages from the PLC sounds like an easy task. However, very few applications do this on the production floor. This is probable due to the networks involved and using authentication can be complicated. In our example we will use a restricted Gmail SMTP server so no authentication will be required. We will walk through sending email and text messages from the PLC to Google Gmail. Once in your Gmail account, the message can be automatically forwarded to another verified email or SMS text message address.

HERE’S IS A QUICK WAY TO SEND EMAIL (TEXT) MESSAGES FROM THE PLC

The PLC used in this case is the Do-More from Automation Direct.
The software is Do-More Designer.

Here is a blog post that I thought was good to share.
Let me know what you think.
Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

PLC to Email Diagram01.jpg

I had no idea google could accept unsecured connections to an SMTP server. My biggest problem with sending emails is that most platforms still don't support TLS and I was under the impressions that there were no free SMTP servers left that accepted non-TLS connections.

This works well. Especially when commissioning remote PLC's. Google set this up for emailing from printers, fax machines, etc.

I have a working email routine for Allen Bradley Micrologix series that uses "Authentication". This works very well for my application, would be happy to share.

Hi damica1,

I would be interested in seeing the email routine for the Allen Bradley Micrologix that uses 'Authentication'. What server are you connecting to? Are you using SMTP Relay Service or GMail SMTP Server?

Thanks,
Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

Here are the instructions on how to send emails with "AUTHENTICATION". As you can see I am not the one to figure this out, I just followed these instruction.

I do want to point out, each different message will have to have it's own "Routing" address, you can send different messages to different email address. Each different message will have to be create in the message table. I stored all my message strings in the ST9 Table.

This works very well for sending out alarm/status emails, should work with any email server. We have used it on serveral different ones and have had no problems.

You will have to find the IP address of the email server your going to use, because you can't use the domain name! You can ping the domain name of the email server you want to use and it will report back the IP address.

You should not have any trouble as long as you can get to the Internet from your local network. If your company has their own email server should work just fine.

We also use our own email relay server this way we can send an email to the relay server and it will relay that email to a large list of receivers.

Had to break the file into 2 sections.

Thanks to all for the info! I have a similar message function running in an IDEC. Always good for remote stuff!

Personally we always had problems doing this using Google. They kept blocking our accounts. Never told us actually why. Just got an email saying the account was not used within their terms and services. Contacting them by Email didn't help either, even when we explained what we were doing. Eventually we change to a cheap Fastmail account. Works like a charm.