What Siemens PLC is this

The IM 151-8 PN/DP interface module with CPU functionality for SIMATIC ET 200S has been released for immediate delivery. The IM 151-8 PN/DP CPU has an on-board PROFINET communication interface (with 3 ports for line construction and PG functions) and can be expanded with a PROFIBUS-DP master module option. The IM 151-8 PN/DP CPU is based on the S7-300 CPU 314.

Is this an old platform or newer than the new S7-300
And will version Step 7 5.4 communicate with it. As I only see
what seems to be a profibus 9 pin port what do I need to grab
a copy of the running code

I can seem to connect to the Ethernet cause we do not know the network
address scheme.
Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure if v5.4 will work.
Try downloading the hardware support package for v5.4.
It may add support for 151-8.
What about going online with "online nodes"?
Does it find anything?
v5.5 and TIA p[ortal do support it.

Go online

One can not go online using Ethernet because we have no
idea what the network address scheme is.
Can not disconnect any of the three plugins because the plant
runs 24/7 and were not sure what they do
Can I connect a 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 cable to the nine pin
D connector you see in the pictures to grab the code

I'm guessing that you want a copy of the program so that you can modify/replace it. The program in the CPU will not contain any symbols or comments so your best bet is to get hold of the original documented program.

It is 10 times more difficult to work on a program with no comments or symbols and often when you tell a customer that it will cost them 10 times as much to do the work then often a copy can be found!

You can connect by profibus but Ethernet would be the preferred method; look for a switch.

Nick

TIA Portal

There are no known backups of the code
Not a good situation
There is an open 9 pin port as shown in the pictures
Can I connect to that port and grab the code
If so what cable is needed
Thanks

You can buy a USB to profibus adapter but I don't know the part number.

One picture shows a tele-service module for remote access, that might be another option to access the system or it may occupy one of the Ethernet ports which probably means you can unplug it.

Nick

The teleservice adapter shows that the original supplier intend to support the machine. They may be unwilling to give access to the PLC or to deliver the source code.

If your concern is that the program is lost from the flashcard (unlikely, but totally impossible), you can ask then original supplier to deliver a spare flashcard with the program already loaded.

One can not go online using Ethernet because we have no
idea what the network address scheme is.
Can not disconnect any of the three plugins because the plant
runs 24/7 and were not sure what they do
Can I connect a 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 cable to the nine pin
D connector you see in the pictures to grab the code

You can browse the Ethernet network to see what Profinet devices are available, and that will tell you the IP address scheme. You do not need to already have the correct IP address for these network scans to be effective.

Many tools are available, including accessible nodes and edit ethernet nodes in Simatic Manager, Online Access in Portal, and external tools like Proneta or the Primary Setup Tool.

I'm a big fan of the Primary setup tool, https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/19440762, which is a simple tool that allows you to scan a network for Profinet devices.

The main risk is that once you figure out what IP address the PLC has, when you assign an IP address for your laptop, you might accidentally choose something already in use in the system.