Downgrade project from Factory Talk SE v8 to v7

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Running into a wall here, and wondering if anybody has trucks up their sleeves for this. My first time using SE, and I naively used the most recent version of studio (8.1) to develop screen graphics. Now I need to import them into the customers network project, which is on version 7. I'm finding out there is NO support for this, which is a big hitch. I'm hoping someone out there has a workaround.

Running into a wall here, and wondering if anybody has trucks up their sleeves for this. My first time using SE, and I naively used the most recent version of studio (8.1) to develop screen graphics. Now I need to import them into the customers network project, which is on version 7. I'm finding out there is NO support for this, which is a big hitch. I'm hoping someone out there has a workaround.

Try exporting screens to *.XML file, then import.

Is there a big difference between SE and ME.

I develop in ME 8.0 pretty frequently and down load to 7.0.

When converting to an .MER and as your saving it you have the option to change the name the version number.

Is that the same for SE?

I'm probably all wet here but isn't something about the first three lines of the exported .xml file that needs to be changed before importing into the 7.0 version.

OK, got it. I found this old thread that gave me the information needed.

Now that I'm not under the gun, here's some more info. ME is for Panelviews. SE is Rockwell answer to SCADA, and can be used in local mode on a standalone computer, or on a network in a distributed system. The studio environment is basically the same for both, though SE in general has more capability.

Here's my list of failed attempts:

• Deploy application in older version. This is what I'm used to in ME, but isn't an option with SE. You're stuck with the version of the development environment.
  • Directly import the display files from the project folder. This worked for parameter files, but the display files gave me an error.
  • Export the displays to XML and import. This gave me an error that the "schema" did not exist. This is the file that Studio uses to parse the XML, and the v8 schema wasn't available.
  • Modify the XML file to use the v6 schema (used for both v6 and v7 of Studio). Returned a parse error. The v8 schema must be different from v6.
  • Copy the v8 schema into the appropriate folder. The schema was not recognized as valid.
  • Open up two VM, one with Studio v7, one with Studio v8. Copy and paste the graphics between them. The graphics came across completely garbled and unusable.
  • Convert v8 SE application to ME, compile into v6 runtime, use Studio v6 to decompile, then reconvert to v6 SE. Couldn't even get the SE application into ME.

Finally I did some searching and found the above mentioned link and essentially followed those instructions, substituting the correct version numbers for my case. I got an error during import, but everything seemed to work. I still had to import parameter files, tags, alarms, etc. separately, but this was much better than rebuilding from scratch.