A-B FLEX-I/O Support

rthudson

I have several systems that were installed in 2009 that consist of AB SLC 5/04 CPU's with Flex I/O remotes. When a 1794 ASB RIO adapter failed yesterday I was told that RA no longer supports the Flex I/O line, and to check eBay! Has anyone run into this, and do you have any information on a reliable supplier for Flex I/O modules? Also I was asked to spec out a replacement system for future update. Any ideas?

Flex I/O is still active platform.
What is discontinued is Remote I/O adapter because RIO is going away
Ethernet and other networks still available.

For better or for worse, the chips and interface hardware that A-B has been using for DH+ and RIO since 1978 are obsolete and RA has chosen to stop making equipment with those networks. They've very slowly discontinued RIO and DH+ devices over the course of the past ten years or so, hoarding the last stocks of the chips for critical repairs.

FLEX has a gigantic installed base and you can still get Ethernet, ControlNet, and DeviceNet adapters. Ethernet is by far the most popular, in both single-media and Device-Level Ring versions.

Thanks,

I'm glad to hear the Flex I/O is not going away, that's good news. Would you say that what does need to happen is switching our comm link to a supported convention, ie. ethernet or Cnet?

Most of the systems I've migrated have gone to 1794-AENT or 1794-AENTR EtherNet/IP modules.

I did some ControlNet systems, but those were half-and-half PLC-5C15 controlled systems with very specific legacy support requirements.

Just to make it clear 5/04 does not support Ethernet/IO
You can add ControlNet Scanner, but I would not go this route.
Replace controller with a modern PLC and you can re-use 1747-I/O via Ethernet

Just for the record, FlexIO is forbidden at my company entirely. Over 20 years, it is the IO platform with the absolute highest failure rate, and to make matters worse, Analogs and especially Thermocouple modules would often fail in a mode where they don't actually fault out, but deliver incorrect values.

After passing this information on to the chief engineer, he has asked me to begin an upgrade replacement plan for the slc500. We have four Cat C-280 v12 engines that are each controlled by an HMI consisting of AB Panelview with SLC 5/04 and two Flex I/O racks. Two engines are for main propulsion, and two drive Kato 600v 3ph generators. The remote I/O's are mainly RTD and T/C modules that monitor engine and generator operation. The problem that occured was a shutdown from a generator bearing temp spike. All temps were normal and the only obvious failure indication was the flashing local fault LED on the 1794-ASB RIO module. We located a couple of new RIO modules and will keep the Flex I/O as a short term solution, but cannot chance catastrophic shutdowns due to unreliable monitoring equipment. I understand that we would have to replace the 5/04 with the 5/05, to utilize Enet, Cnet or Dnet. If we were to make this CPU upgrade, would it make sense to go ahead and replace the remote Flex I/O with SLC 500 chassis? Anyway, any advice or insight would be much appreciated!

I can't give you upgrade advice, but must mention that one statement you made is incorrect:
I understand that we would have to replace the 5/04 with the 5/05, to utilize Enet, Cnet or Dnet
5/04 (and 5/05) will control CNET or DNET I/O with additional scanner installed
5/05 (and 5/04) will NOT control Ethernet I/O