Safety Light Curtains and OSSD1 and OSSD2 Outputs

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

What type of output is coming from a Safety Light Curtain ? I took notice that normal relays will not work. I have all intentions of using a safety relay. Is it something like a pulse train ?

Thanks in advance

Its my understanding on the AB ones I've used that they are either relay or transistor outputs. The recommended safety relays are nothing special and are the same ones used for E-STOP push buttons.

OSSD1 and OSSD2 are redundant (typically transistor-based) outputs. You need to wire them to a safety relay/module that accepts dual 24vdc signals, like this one:
http://www.bannerengineering.com/en...nd-Modules/531/Universal-Input-Safety-Modules

Be careful in your selection; virtually all safety relays have dual inputs but many use a pulsed signal and are meant to be used with mechanical safety switches. The idea behind the pulsed signal is that a short circuit to 24v will not be mistaken as a valid "on" state, but it prevents usage of solid state outputs like those found on light curtains.