Light Curtain suggestions

Edmhydraulics

So I was at my customers yesterday and I watched as the baler operator climbed into the feed bin with the baler stopped but pumps and controls still on. After picking my jaw up off the ground, I went and found the boss and mentioned this to him. And said that WCB would have a field day with them if they caught them doing this.

Apparently the operators are told not to enter the feed bin for any reason when running and must find a supervisor to shut down and lock out before they can clear a jam.

There are clear decals all over the place letting you know entering a piece of machinery while running is not a good idea, but maybe the operator cant read.

I had mentioned that we might put in a light curtain to shut down the baler and sound an alarm when they cross it and they want to go ahead with this.

The opening to the feed bin sits behind the operators panel. Next month I will be replacing the operators panel with a HMI on a movable arm that will hang near the operators position. So I can incorporate a light curtain and safety relay at that point.

The opening to the feed bin is about 30" wide, by 40" long.

The baler itself is inside and the coldest it gets is 3-5 degrees C when the doors are open. There is some dust present in the air, but not much and not all the time, mostly when the loader operator scrapes up metal that has been sitting on the floor.

My thought is that this will prevent the operator from trying to reach into the opening or actually go into the opening to retrieve anything while the system is running. If he does try it the system will auto shut down, and an alarm will sound which should tell everyone whats going on. If he follows procedure he will shut the baler down and remove the key before he goes in.

Any suggestions on a good Light Curtain for this application?

Thanks

Edm

I'd suggest Pilz if you are looking for an excellent light curtain, but honestly, I would only feel comfortable with an actual physical gate that has to be closed and locked to enable the baler.
"Convenience" and even "Operating Efficiency" have to be tossed out the window when you get serious about safety.

I would concur with the gate option, but would also consider a Castell-type trapped key interlock, or electric lock on the gate, with a request to enter PB and only energise the gatelock when system is shutdown.

I think Darwin had an idea about this,....................... but I digress

I have had good results with ABB and their watchdog. Easy to install and set up. Reliable in harsh industrial environments(esp chemical), and fairly economical. Throw an LED strobe, a harsh horn for the coffee fix, and a keyed reset switch just for some overlord action, and you have one ****ed off operator who will go home to his kids.

Banner makes a pretty hefty one too, but I have had less experience with theirs. They like theirs alot, it pricier.

Keyence Makes a unit that can survive a forklift roll over, if there are any bins, totes, or disgruntled operators in the area. The one I looked at had to be programmed, and is mid-range on price

Or you could install a gate and a limit switch with the start/ safety circuit running through it. No gate, no run.

Top load or sideload

Is the ram on top or the side?
If it is on the top it may need to be chocked or blocked open before entry. I have seen hoses go and rams drop.

Keyance just showed me their light curtain and it looked nice.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them, its a horizontal baler, so no worry of the ram dropping.

Thanks again, I will post when I decide which one I choose.

Edm.