help with modbus communication, schneider quantum 140cpu67160 and PM710

hello all,

I need help with modbus communication and this is my first time programing the modbus communication in schneider, i have to comunicate a PLC schneider quantum from the RJ-45 port (Modbus) and a PM710 (Power Meter). The idea is read the some registers from PM710 and processing in the PLC. i read the manual, but i don´t understand as configure the programs blocks.

I appreciate any help

Thanks all

hello all,

I need help with modbus communication and this is my first time programing the modbus communication in schneider, i have to comunicate a PLC schneider quantum from the RJ-45 port (Modbus) and a PM710 (Power Meter). The idea is read the some registers from PM710 and processing in the PLC. i read the manual, but i don´t understand as configure the programs blocks.

I appreciate any help

Thanks all

Is that a Unity Processor ?

If so you need to be looking at the READ_VAR block, its pretty straight forward, have a look and come back with any specifics that you are struggling with.

sorry, but in the title i wrote 140cpu67160. also, i tried with this block but not appear in the list of block for this cpu. the read_var block is in the m340 cpu list.

Thanks for quick answer

sorry, but in the title i wrote 140cpu67160. also, i tried with this block but not appear in the list of block for this cpu. the read_var block is in the m340 cpu list.

Thanks for quick answer

I asked because I don't know the model number of every CPU off the top of my head.

Never used the Modbus port on a Quantum, we would always use Ethernet for reading slaves as its easier when using redundancy.

thanks tragically1969, my problem is which they haven't IP directions or they no want give me one, for this reason, i need make that with the serial port in rs-485 (connector rj45)

Also have never used Modbus on a Quantum, but from what I found the only function you can use is XXMIT function. That is if the cpu is Unity Cpu

thanks tragically1969, my problem is which they haven't IP directions or they no want give me one, for this reason, i need make that with the serial port in rs-485 (connector rj45)

That's a redundant processor, isn't it ? I thought an Ethernet Card was mandatory on Quantum HSBY ?

How are you going to handle the RS485 redundancy ?

hello, this PLC in this moment is working as stand alone without redundancy.
on the other hand, i found this function chud, but i think i do bad, because this block it does not work.

somebody been used XXMIT function???

I appreciate any help

The Quantum Equivelant of read_Var is Read_reg and on the plus side its much easier to use.

out of interest do your pm700's not have modbus tcp ports?

Last edited:
Yes Brendon and thanks, but those blocks are for Modicon M340 and no appear in the function list of quantum PLC (140CPU67160)

help me please!!

Check again, READ_REG is Quantum, although it says its Modbus Plus so not sure that is correct either :confused:

To the other poster, PM710 are serial only.

To the other poster said:
aah thanks, also you are correct, the read reg wont won't work on standard modbus , its for modbus plus or ethernet.

the xxmit would be worth looking at op although ive never used it myself.

as an alternative method you could also purchase a Schneider ETG100 modbus/ethernet gateway which you could connect to your cpu's ethernet and use the read_reg or IO Scanner.