Automation Direct PLC/HMI

Old No. 7

We're quoting a project where the customer wants us to use Automation Direct for the PLC and HMI.

I've poked around just a little with someone else's program for the C-more HMI's and it seemed pretty decent, but I've never even looked at the PLC software. Almost everything we do is Allen Bradley.

Any words of wisdom? How painful is this going to be?

The basic contacts, coils, timers and counters cross over pretty easily. However, with operations involving registers - indexed addressing, file moves, math - setting up the registers required starts to feel like assembler. Sequencers (DRUMs) are much easier to program. Remote I/O chassis (a la DL205) require an initialization sequence at startup.

It's a different culture for sure.

As far as free software goes, Click Koyo software is one of the best IMO. Having said that, I only ever use it for basic stuff (contacts, coils, timers and counters, as Doug says), because anything more intensive than that and I tell them they're getting AB anyway ;)

We're quoting a project where the customer wants us to use Automation Direct for the PLC and HMI.

Which PLC?
AD sells several different lines of PLCs. I am a big fan of the Do-more processors, they have a great instruction set, and really great support. If the project is going to use one of the legacy Direct-Logic controllers then there will be some pain dealing with all the different data types. If it is a CLICK or Productivity line, then I can't tell you much, because I have done very little with either of them.
The C-more HMI's have worked out very well for me.

Which PLC?
AD sells several different lines of PLCs. I am a big fan of the Do-more processors, they have a great instruction set, and really great support. If the project is going to use one of the legacy Direct-Logic controllers then there will be some pain dealing with all the different data types. If it is a CLICK or Productivity line, then I can't tell you much, because I have done very little with either of them.

This is my experience as well. I've used quite a few Domore Processors and Cmore HMIs. I really like them. I've had a few in some pretty rough temperature environments, and I haven't had trouble at all.

We've been using the productivity 3000's for all of our new in-house installs. We've had very few issues. The software is free and works well.

All the new cpu's are pretty nice to work with. Realistically I would stay with either the Do-More or Productivity platforms.

The Do-More is a generally a direct memory based platform (there are fixed memory areas to work with) with some user definable area to use as well.

The Productivity platform is tag based.

I just started using the P2000 (new small Productivity cpu) and so far I like it. It's similar to the Do-More package I have more experience with.

Either platform is light years ahead of the older Directsoft stuff (DL105/05/06/205, etc..)

Both platforms also allow you to group logic in multiple 'programs' or subroutines. It's a good way to compartmentalize code for larger projects.

All three mentioned (CLICK, Do-more & Productivity series) have free software. The CLICK is more simplistic and designed for smaller, more simplistic applications. Do-more & Productivity are both very capable control platforms and really boils down to personal preference. Download the software for each here: http://support.automationdirect.com/demos.html
You can also go to the Automation Video Cookbook and view short videos of how each of these three PLCs can accomplish specific tasks: http://www.automationdirect.com/videos/cookbook

One more thing with the Domore.

If you have a problem, potential product glitch, or feature request, you can get on the forum over at host and have direct access to the company president. I've seen those guys go way above and beyond to meet their customers needs or wants.

One more thing with the Domore.

If you have a problem, potential product glitch, or feature request, you can get on the forum over at host and have direct access to the company president. I've seen those guys go way above and beyond to meet their customers needs or wants.

I'll second that, the support is top notch (y)

Which PLC?

It will be the DirectLogic 405 series. The program won't be overly complicated so hopefully we don't have any limitations from the hardware.

Another question - we need to read/write data to a recorder via Modbus. Anyone done this with the DL405 series?

It will be the DirectLogic 405 series. The program won't be overly complicated so hopefully we don't have any limitations from the hardware.

Another question - we need to read/write data to a recorder via Modbus. Anyone done this with the DL405 series?

Personally, I would try talking the customer out of investing money in a soon-to-be-obsolete platform if at all possible.