Sourcing and Sinking Headache

DLMUK

Hi,

Are panel meters "generally" source or sink specific?

I.e. is it just how you wire the sensor into the panel meter which determines the configuration? I know sensors are sink/source specific.

The reason I ask is we have a setup where we are using a 4-20mA instrumentation amplifier (3 wire) which is sourcing. But we are unsure what the previous sensor was, it was most likely sinking.

The panel meter has terminals +V, 0V and Iin on the back. I would assume that seeing as the +V is being supplied by the panel, as long as the current source device is wired in correctly as a current source device then it would be fine.

We would setup the amp as +V = 12V, 0V = 0V and Output = 4-20mA referenced to 0V. From my experience sink amps are referenced to +V. But seeing as there is no reference as such in this circuit it wouldn't matter.

Thanks,

Generally source or sink have to do with the type of Digital I/O not analog I/O.
Analog I/O's are passive or active .

A Panel meter is neither.

For voltage input meters, they should present a high impedance to the source.

For milliamp meters, they are simply inserted into the current loop, and have a minimal burden resistance. Some mA meters might provide loop power, but that isn't required.