Automation Titles

JHarbin

For those of you (us) who are Systems Integrators, what Title best describes your role in your company. If you could include a brief description of what you primarily do, it would help.

I am simply giving some thought to the titles that we currently use for the various roles our folks fill and the tasks they accomplish and wanted to see what was commonly used in the business. This could also include what you wish your title was. I know this will be a joke to some, but I hope a few would provide some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

JHarbin,

When I left an OEM company, this was my duties.

Purchasing manager / receiving manager, quotations and write-ups, Inventory control, Electrical component machine inventory before shipping, plc programmer, AutoCAD electrical designer, Assistant AutoCAD mechanical designer, documentation control, Write instruction manuals for machinery, machine installation and system debug, and panel electrician.

Pretty much everything we did, except accounts payable and payroll.

regards,
james

When I worked for a Systems Integrator, my title was Sr. Design Engineer. I was responsible for quoting, site visits, electrical design and panel layout, support for the panel shop techs, PLC/HMI/SCADA programming, commissioning, operator training, operator manual writing, and shop IT.

Controls Engineer:
Implement overall controls for the machine.
Specify electrical components.
Review electrical schematics.
Program HMI, PLC, other misc harware.
Involved in acceptance testing, both internal and on-site.

Thanks for all of your answers. It just confirms what I always thought. We don't even have a common title for what we do.

Follow-up. Do any of you who have Engineer in your title *not* have an Engineering Degree? This is more just to satisfy my curiosity.

My title imposes the same. No engineering degree.
Automation/Controls Technician.
My project lead is always introducing me as his "Controls Engineer" and I keep telling him, if your calling me an engineer maybe you should pay me as an engineer. :p
Then I gladly accept the project and get to work!
He does pay me well so I'm not complaining.

The only place that enforce the title of "engineer" on ones business card is Texas and I heard it's not just the degree but you need the PE license. In other states you still need a PE license to stamp drawing or do surveys.