440C-CR30 safety controller faulting

phuz

I am experiencing a random fault with one of these controllers and trying to determine if there is an anomaly with something we did or if this is a faulty unit.
On the base module, we have 6 inputs feeding the safety input section (0 through 5) and have a relay output card (2080-OW4I) to break the run signals going to 4 starters/vfds. 3 of them are 120vac and 1 is 24vdc, not that it matters.

The logic is simple in that the first 5 inputs are AND'ed to output an IMMEDIATE OFF which is used to control 2 of the contacts on the OW4I.
The last input is used to output an IMMEDIATE OFF to the other 2 contacts. These are door switches being used to stop the motors in the event they are opened.

The issue is that the safety controller will randomly fault while everything is running, and they must cycle power to the unit to restore functionality. I currently have the IMMEDIATE OFF blocks set to auto-reset, so if they trip one of these sensors, it will clear itself.

I have not yet generated a safety signature for this, but that wouldn't cause a random fault (at least I hope not).

Thanks for any insight.

The problem is most likely your firmware. I had the same issue on several of those units while the machine was running and no doors moved some are even bolted shut you would get a discrepancy fault on one input or the other and it would jump around from switch to switch.

I flashed the unit to V8 and have not had a single problem since.

Look at the link below which is the firmware documentation for V8 and on page 3 you will see that discrepancy fault after power up was one of the fixed anomalies in V8.

9.004 is the latest firmware. Also make sure there is nothing near the wiring to the devices that could cause a coupling issue. Being a pulsed 24 VDC for a safety application it can be sensitive.

It may just be a bad unit though. This has been a common problem with these units.

Firmware has always fixed it for me but I do know of one here that had to be exchanged because of this and firmware did not correct it.

There is another one we installed a week ago that has a solid red fault on it. Cycling power clears it.
It is not near other wiring.

Two things with these units we installed (that should not be an issue but I want to mention them):
1. We have the ENET module installed, but are not currently using it.
2. I did not yet verify it and generate a safety code, so the run light is only flashing at this point.

I looked at 9.004 release notes and there is nothing listed regarding faults. I may upgrade it anyway.

Last edited:
I took one of these units back to the office, powered it up, removed the OW4I, but left the ENET module. I did NOT generate a safety code for it. It remained powered and the run light was flashing. This morning, it has a solid red fault. This is just sitting on a desk with nothing else near it.

If the run light is flashing it will only run for 24 hr before failing. You have to run a safety signature.

I have been burnt by that 1 before. About 10 controllers all going down over the weekend. Not the best feeling when you get to the job site and everyone is waiting on you.

I got the call when I was off site but luckily both times it faulted, they were in between batches and they figured out how to cycle power to it on their own. So at best it was a minor inconvenience....this time. :)

RA should add a popup when you do a download warning you of such. You get no warning about this in the software.
After you posted that, I found it in the manual, but would have never known to look for it specifically.

How do you generate a safety signature with these? I don't see anything in the manual regarding a safety signature. What am I missing?