Is Siemens Simatic used in Canada?

Petr_Broza

Hello,

I'm in Vancouver, BC now and have hard time to find any company, which is programming Siemens, most of them using AB. Is it different in other provinces, for example Toronto, ON? thanks

Siemens used to be well supported in Canada with office/sales engineering/ training in Mississauga and Montreal. That was in the '90s. Since the TI purchase Siemens packed evertything in Canada and moved it down to Tennessee.
Lack of support forced us to move from S7 to Rockwell in 1998 after the Siemens local sales rep botched up a large S7-300 / Profibus installation we were planning. We were forced to go with a PLC5 with RIO and have not gone back to Siemens since.
So , if you find lack of companies with Siemens experience in Canada, Siemens themselves had something to do with that.

Here in N.S. I have seen a small amount of SIEMENS here and there, but not even close to the amount of Rockwell. The SIEMENS office in my region closed up shop a few months ago and as far as I know has no plans of re-opening. I'm sure that our capital city of Halifax has a SIEMENS office but likely a very small client base if they do have a rep. The last time I purchased an S7-1200 I waited well over a week for it. A very basic model. I don't think a person would have a fighting chance to even use SIEMENS without good local representation of some sort. It wouldn't be my first choice just based on that fact alone.

Try talking to EB HORSMAN, they are an electrical distributor with multiple branches in the Vancouver area. They are the local distributor for Siemens plc's. If you call and ask for their automation division they will probably give you a list of their top plc consumers.

haven't seen Siemens in Alberta yet. mostly Allen bradley. seen some modicon and GE fanuc as well.

And what about Schneider? Is there some presence in Canada?

Like most North America, Canada is entrenched in Rockwell.

I've worked on Modicon recently and there is more Modicon than Siemens as far as I can see.

I have worked on Siemens here but a rarity.

The problem Siemens have is because of the large Rockwell bias, they find it hard to find people and don't have the market to invest.