questions regarding Controllogix revisions

unsaint32

I am a PLC novice. here are my questions about controllogix, RSlogix and firmware.

1) Do Controllogixs come with RSLogix, or does AB sell RSLogix separately?

2) If RSLogix comes with Controllogix, does that mean if I buy a Controllogix5k, I get all existing versions of RSLogix5k for all existing Controllogix5k?

3) What about future revisions to the controller? As AB comes out with new Controllogix revisions, do they also make the new matching version RSLogix available for people?

4) When I add a new controllogix to a project in RSLogix, why does the RSLogix even ask me for the controller revision number when it won't even work if the RSLogix version that I am using does not match the Controllogix revision #?

Thanks

I will try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

When you buy a PLC from Rockwell (ControlLogix, CompactLogix etc) you do not get the software to program it. You have to buy that separately, as there are different versions of the software, never mind different revisions. Studio5000 is at revision 27 at the moment, and once you have your licence, you should be able to go to the Rockwell website and download previous revisions.

Future revisions should be available to you, but only if you take a support contract.
Firmware revisions of the controllers happen all the time, and again they will probably only be available on a support contract.

When you buy a processor, it comes with a base firmware, and you flash it to the revision of software you want to use. Some processors will only work on certain revisions of software due to the features.

e.g. we have ControlLogix from Rev 13 to Rev 21 here, but mainly we use Rev 19 and 20, as that is what we have installed to program and diagnose the PLCs.

Does that help for starters?

I will try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

When you buy a PLC from Rockwell (ControlLogix, CompactLogix etc) you do not get the software to program it. You have to buy that separately, as there are different versions of the software, never mind different revisions. Studio5000 is at revision 27 at the moment, and once you have your licence, you should be able to go to the Rockwell website and download previous revisions.

Future revisions should be available to you, but only if you take a support contract.
Firmware revisions of the controllers happen all the time, and again they will probably only be available on a support contract.

When you buy a processor, it comes with a base firmware, and you flash it to the revision of software you want to use. Some processors will only work on certain revisions of software due to the features.

e.g. we have ControlLogix from Rev 13 to Rev 21 here, but mainly we use Rev 19 and 20, as that is what we have installed to program and diagnose the PLCs.

Does that help for starters?

This is accurate. They are sold separately and there are various packages of RSL/Studio 5000. Your re-seller should be able to select the appropriate package for you.