OT power supply question

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone tried to parallel dc power supplies from different manufacturers. Specifically Sitop (Siemens) and Quint (Phoenix Contact).
I've got parallel Sitop supplies, one of which has died. Lead time is ridiculous (10 days with $300 air frieght). I can get a Quint onsite in 24hrs. Has anyone tried this?

Are there external paralleling diodes? If so, you shouldn't have a problem provided your DC load does not exceed the capability of one of your power supplies. If one supplies voltage is less than the other then it will simply do no work. You'll need to adjust the DC voltage of each supply so that they match in order for them to share the load. (Taking into account the ~0.7V drop across the diodes )

My first thought as well, but you'd have to see the way this machine is wired. Not feasible without some serious downtime.
These are 960w 48vdc power supplies. The 24vdc on the machine is generated with 45 independent supplies scattered from one end to the other. The electrical schematics for this beast tops 2000 pages.

Swap both power supplies to Quints? If the parts are easy to get and downtime limited, then its a very safe bet.

Can you turn the whole unit off to replace the units? If not, I suggest you set everything up so the change over is a quick as possible.

The way power supplies are designed, there shouldn't be an inward current allowed, so putting 2 (or more) of the same voltage power supplies in parallel would give the same voltage with increased current. And wiring 2 in series (of the same amp outputs) would double the voltage with the same current output. There shouldn't be any feedback or shorting in any of the name brand power supplies out there.

And, like Saffa mentioned, before you wire them in parallel calibrate them to precisely the same output voltage.

I personally would prefer two brand new power supplies, but the customer asked the question .........we all know that story right?