FactoryTalk View Expression editor limit

MartyMaucher

I have apparently hit about a 980 character limit in the FT View ME String expression editor. I need to fit about 1 more line if I could. Is there a way to use an abbreviation for tag names or some other solution to this?

PLCStringEditorLimit.PNG

OK, it's in the help file, "up to 999 characters". I suppose I could shorten the tag shortcut name (NearmanFile) to get enough space to fit what I need.
Just a rant... but what kind of *&%@! software limits code area to under 1k characters?

1) Create the tags in the tag database. Short names. Done.

Direct access tags are just plain evil.

2) Instead of doing what you are, use a local message display for your strings. Then they only need an index number, which can be generated in the PLC.