PLC communication without RSLINX

rejoe.koshy

Hey Guys,
I have got a situation here with one of the Chinese manufacturers of mixing machine where they are using SLC 5/03 & has a SCADA which communicates with the PLC over ethernet protocol.
The SCADA is not an AB product & I am at a loss to understand as to how the PLC communicates with the PLC.I have checked RS LINX but could not find any topics which are configured for exchange of data with the SCADA
Is there any way to communicate with AB plcs without using RSLINX ??

pls help!

some SCADAs have their own protocols that do not need RSLinx

We use Wonderware InTouch which has its own drivers (DASABTCP and DASABCIP) to communicate with Rockwell PLCs.

What type/name/brand of SCADA are you using and what other programmes are running alongside the SCADA?

Are you sure it is using Ethernet as the the SLC 5/03 does not have Ethernet even though it has a RJ45 type plug, this port is DH-485 and two of the pins have 24 volt DC on them so do not plug an Ethernet cable into it.

If you are certain the SCADA is using Ethernet then there must be a converter between them.

Alan

Blood...Stone...

JohnCalderwood said:
...What type/name/brand of SCADA are you using...?

rejoe.koshy said:
Its a PC based SCADA developed by the manufacturer

Okay...it's a SCADA...it's running on a PC...and it's been developed by a manufacturer...

Nope...nothings coming up in my Crystal Ball?...it must be on the blink today?

I'm sorry if I sound rude here but that has to be one of the most vague and unhelpful (ultimately to you) replies to a direct question I've seen for some time here.

There are, and as has been pointed out, many ways to communicate with AB controllers without using RSLinx Classic, from many different SCADA packages.

But if you, and you alone, in this thread, are the only one that knows the SCADA package in question, then you will remain alone in trying to figure out how it is currently communicating with the controller.

Even if you think it is a somewhat obscure and proprietary SCADA package, you would be as well say. You may be surprised to find that someone here might have some prior knowledge of it. Failing that, the resources to help you find some information will undoubtedly increase.

Help us to help you.

rejoe.koshy said:
...Are you talking about a software interface or a hardware one?

A hardware converter would only have been required here to convert different communications protocols and the different plugs/jacks they use. It was thought you had an SLC 5/03 which would be possibly using the DH-485 or DF1 protocol, and so would have required some type of converter.

As we now know, at least, that it is an Ethernet based SLC 5/05, then presumably, both are connected to an Ethernet network, and so no hardware converter should be required.

Only a software driver should be required in the SCADA package to successfully communicate with the SLC 5/05. Because the addressing structure for RSLogix 500 based controllers is unique, they must have developed a specific AB driver for their SCADA package or else they are using some third party software as a go between.

Regards,
George

If it's a propriety application, it's probably written in one of the .NET frameworks C#, VB, something similar to Archie's Advanced HMI. If that is the case it might have something embedded to allow it to be an OPC client, therefore some opc server could be installed (Kepware, matrikon..etc).

I had an application years ago, VB6 from the OEM and used some add-in module to the VB6 code that they purchased as it was a licensed communication driver.

If you have the source code available I'm sure you could find it, but if they just installed a compiled version you're probably not going to figure it out.

George,
I apologize for a such a vague reply earlier.I have found the following softwares
to be running on the system
1.Frmmain - SCADA software
2.SQL 2000
3.HA-RamDiskNT v1.5.skylee.
4.RS LInx

The list of topics serviced by RS LINX is none!