RSLogix 5000 & Solartron Orbit3

JohanM

Hi guys. Do you have some experiences with Solartron system? I am looking for some example how to make connection between RSLogix and Solatron Orbit3 Ethernet module. There are some information about Explicit messages and implicit communication, but is not easy to make it work :unsure:

From the manual:

11.1.2.2.Implicit Messaging These types of messages are used to read or write a ‘block’ of data.

Note: The Orbit Network ‘Readings’ are available in the ‘read’ block of data, and the data contained within a reply to this type of message will contain a set of Synchronised Readings from the Orbit Modules, where Synchronised means all the readings were sampled within a 256uS window of each other.

The Implicit messaging settings required to communicate with the PIM are as follows:
- Unicast Connection Type.
Read Assembly Instance 100
Write Assembly Instance 150
Configuration Assembly Instance 3

For details of the Read-able block using implicit messaging, please see the file “PIM_EthernetIP_IF_CyclicRead.csv”, which includes details of total block size, parameter types as well as byte offsets in the response ‘block’ of data.
For details of the Writable block using implicit messaging, please see the file “PIM_EthernetIP_IF_CyclicWrite.csv” , which includes details of total block size, parameter types as well as byte offsets in the ‘block’ of data.
Looks like you would want to set up a Generic Ethernet module. The values in bold would get plugged in there. The mentioned CSV file should tell you the size for each block and what they are for. you may also want to check if you need things in DINT, INT, or SINT to match up with the layout of the blocks.

2015-11-02_5-58-11.png

Last edited:
From the manual:

Looks like you would want to set up a Generic Ethernet module. The values in bold would get plugged in there. The mentioned CSV file should tell you the size for each block and what they are for. you may also want to check if you need things in DINT, INT, or SINT to match up with the layout of the blocks.

Thanks for reply. I tried that before but without success. I dont know how to correctly select what I need, from that table, because there are mentioned something in SINT32, something in UINT16 and also some status UNIT16. Can you help me, whit it? :wish:How you will select it? Sorry for my English. I attached that excel table and screen from manual.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• PIM_EthernetIP_IF_CyclicRead.xls
    21 KB · Views: 7
I am looking for solution and I thing I need PIM module which support Ethernet/IP communication, not just ETHIM module o_O

Hi Johan,

The PIM module looks like what you need.

As you just discovered, Ethernet is not the same as Ethernet I/P. :)

The ETHIM may still be good for monitoring from a PC or SCADA. It'll give you interesting options to branch out. ;)

Hi Johan,

The PIM module looks like what you need.

As you just discovered, Ethernet is not the same as Ethernet I/P. :)

The ETHIM may still be good for monitoring from a PC or SCADA. It'll give you interesting options to branch out. ;)

Yes. I found out it :p Sorry for that I wasted your time and big thanks for your nice explanation of that table. Its very helpful for my for the future. Someone select this Ethernet module for our project and said "This is what you need" So I work with it without questions. Now I know first step is check compatibility of new toys 👨🏻‍🏫

Mission Failed. PIM Ethernet I/P module is just in progress so I must find how to make communication with classic Ethernet. 📚