ABB acs 550

I don't believe any standard ABB factory-supplied macros in the standard ACS550 expect an encoder so, if you record your desired non-default parameters and then reset the drive to the desired macro default, the fault should go away. (You reset the macro default values by opening 99.02 and re-entering the desired macro.) Then re-enter your non-default parameters.

The exception to this is if the VFD has custom software loaded into it. That might require an encoder by default and, if it doesn't see one or if the parameters aren't configured to match the encoder, then the fault will still be present.

Did you reset the defaults first? Somewhere else in the parameters, you have told the drive to expect an encoder.
If after resetting the defaults and then changing 9904 to Vector Speed, you have a defective drive.

I'm only going to repeat this one more time. If you re-enter the Macro 99.02 to set all default values, then you set 99.04 to Vector Speed, and you have a standard drive, and you get an Encoder Fault, THE DRIVE IS DEFECTIVE!

If you select Vector Torque in 9904, then you will get an Encoder Fault. The Instruction Manual explains that an encoder is required for speed control in Torque Control mode