MicroLogix 1400 - Modifying timers from the LCD Screen?

rustydud

My project uses a MicroLogix 1400. First time I’ve used the 1400; used the 1500 for a few projects. I have 1.5 years’ experience programming.
My program has 21 timers, including dwell timers, pump duration run timers, etc.
I have a project that doesn't have a dedicated HMI (i.e. a PanelView).
A requirement for my project is to be able to change the timer timing from the LCD screen on the front of the MicroLogix 1400.
It does not appear I can access / change timers by going through “Startup Screen” ->Main Menu->Monitoring.
With Timers, can I use an INTEGER value so somehow the user changes the INTEGER value?
I see something in this thread that might help but it doesn’t seem exactly what I need. Thoughts?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=87608

That's basically exactly what you need.
Change a value in one of your Int files, use logic to check that the timer isn't timing, compare against max/min values, push into .pre for timer.

Dravik, thanks very much for confirming.
Using that example in the referenced thread, I'm going to add XIO T4:2/TT in series with comparing min/max values, push into .pre for timer.
I don't understand why he used MOV T4:2.PRE N7:14 below that statement...what's the purpose? Do I need to do this for my situation?

Basically, In the event someone enters a value that fails your limit test, It resets the input register to the 'current' preset value.

One thing - As written, this assumes the PLC will execute top down left to right. That is NOT true for all controllers.
Try this on say, an AB controllogix, and that's right out the window.

Adding some additional logic to control the flow of execution wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hmm...I'll have to experiment tomorrow when I'm back at the PLC. I'm gone for the day.

I figured the LIM limit test would prevent the user from MOV'ing a value from N7:14 into T4:2.PRE that's outside the min/max values entered in LIM. I didn't think there was a need to "resets the input register to the 'current' preset value." because of this.

Thanks for the additional tips.

My first recommendation would be to save yourself a bunch of heartache and buy a G304K HMI. This will save you enough time that money cannot be an excuse to try to use the LCD.

With that statement off my chest, let me suggest that:
1) Ensure that the file properties of N7 are not protected.
2) Try REMOTE RUN mode. This is just a WAG.

I have not tried to use the LCD for data entry. Just setting the IP address with it causes me to break out my reading glasses, and I still can't tell 080 from 060 from 000... I did make use of the user display and did some reading about how to potentially use the data entry features, but decided against it and in favor of a $400 HMI which would be about half the cost of my time to make the LCD useful for even the most simple data entry problems.

My first recommendation would be to save yourself a bunch of heartache and buy a G304K HMI. This will save you enough time that money cannot be an excuse to try to use the LCD.

With that statement off my chest, let me suggest that:
1) Ensure that the file properties of N7 are not protected.
2) Try REMOTE RUN mode. This is just a WAG.

I have not tried to use the LCD for data entry. Just setting the IP address with it causes me to break out my reading glasses, and I still can't tell 080 from 060 from 000... I did make use of the user display and did some reading about how to potentially use the data entry features, but decided against it and in favor of a $400 HMI which would be about half the cost of my time to make the LCD useful for even the most simple data entry problems.

How much is that little LCD? Can you program it using FactoryTalk ME? Only HMI I've ever programmed is a PanelView.

One thing - As written, this assumes the PLC will execute top down left to right. That is NOT true for all controllers.
Try this on say, an AB controllogix, and that's right out the window.

Adding some additional logic to control the flow of execution wouldn't be a bad idea.

What I found is when my timer is done timing out, for certain timers, they set to 0.

Untitled.jpg

How much is that little LCD? Can you program it using FactoryTalk ME? Only HMI I've ever programmed is a PanelView.
It's a color touchscreen you can get for about $400 and the software is a free download. You'd also need to make or buy a cable.

http://www.redlion.net/product/g3-kadet-4-hmi

http://www.plccable.com/red-lion-g304k2-kadet-4-touch-panel-color-tft-ethernet-g304k200/

There is also a C-More micro graphic terminal (from Automation Direct) you can have for even less money and I believe their software for those lower end units is also free. I have not used the C-More myself.

Last edited: